Reliable Trade Laptop Repair Service

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by verybad, Feb 6, 2008.

1. verybad

verybad New Member

Hello,

I wonder if any of your know of a reliable trade repair service thats cheap, Ive got a few people that want laptop repair and don't know who to turn to.

Many thanks.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Rather depends on 1) whereabouts in the country and 2) just what is meant by 'trade' here!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds to me like a prime business opportunity to learn how to repair laptops yourself! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. verybad

verybad New Member

I don't want the hassle of opening them thats all. They are a nightmare and im not the best solderer lol. I run computer company and im always turing away laptop repair. Im willing to send the laptops. Im in Herfordshire.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess it depends on what needs repairing. I have yet to learn how to solder (I'd be dangerous, as I'm not the most dextrous person in the world), and I've repaired quite a few laptops (including my own, when the LCD inverter died).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I personally don't know any, but it would be a good idea to find one that would give a free estimate on the work that's needed.

Laptops can be pricey to fix though and often it's not economically viable to bother. Especially given how cheaply they can be had for now. You can get a dual core with a 15.4" widescreen for £350.00

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd suggest that you find someone localy to do laptops. Sending these in the post/courier is just *asking* for them to dissapear!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I worked a few years ago for a company that does component level repair on laptops they are still going strong they are near reading in berkshire.

However laptop repairs are pricey because as you say they are fiddley to do, and if you cant get a whole part cheaply then locating and repairing a electronics fault can take a while (all the time the labour clock is ticking).

If you want their details let me know and i'll send em to you.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. leedjc

leedjc New Member

WIP: A+
  10. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

A lot of the repairs simply won't be cost-effective. I've seen a slew of Toshiba Satellite notebooks with cooked mainboards over the past two years. In each case Toshiba authorized dealer quoted that the repair would cost in the vicinity $500 CDN.

Which is bollocks.

Would you rather spend $500 having an older notebook repaired or have a brand new Dell Vostro (with warranty) for the same $$$?

Things like dead keyboards and missing keys, dead hard drives, adding memory... Those repairs are worthwhile. But the board level repairs? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  11. mickyandmitch@aol.co

[email protected] New Member

Hi guys,
    I repair laptops and all LCD flat panel displays,
    You might be thinking that LCD’s may not be viable to fix but at the prices I charge its worth it, for example.......

ALL PRICES ARE TRADE!

Monitors or TV’s any size

1 - 5 x LCD panel repair’s = £25.00 each
    6 - 10 x LCD panel repair’s = £20.00 each
    11 + LCD panel repair’s = £15.00 each

Laptops, any make

1 - 5 x Power socket replacement (common fault) repairs = £40.00 each
    6 - 10 x Power socket replacement (common fault) repairs = £35.00 each
    11 + x Power socket replacement (common fault) repairs = £30.00 each

Inverter Problems?

I can fix the inverter or replace it if its U/S then it will need replacing, standard price for a inverter fix = £40.00 see above price breaks.

Dead motherboard or other fault?

You would have to call/email for a free quote, but i have repaired these faults for my standard price above.

I am based in Newport South Wales, I repair for some of the local shops like Supportech on Church road and Icon on Malpas road, you can Google them and take your item to them or send it either to me or to them via post, (the before mentioned shops will mark up the prices) I have arranged collections with DHL in the past with a one way cost of £10.88 then of course there is the return fee, again £10.88, average turn around is 5 days, i have in the past had a laptop collect on the Monday via DHL, repaired on Tuesday and shipped back out again via DHL, customer received Wednesday.

Any assistance I can offer I will, I repair to component level, I am a very competent computer and electronics engineer with 15 years behind me, remember, everything is repairable all you have to do is ask!

If you want to know more info then please email for my contact details, I will be more than willing to have a chat or maybe arrange a meeting to discuss your needs.
    Mike Smith.

P.s i forgot to mention that you can drop your item(s) directly to me if your local enough and have fixed the same day while you wait.

12. S0l5

S0l5 Bit Poster