related to PC games with hardware parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kobem, Sep 15, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Kobem, imagine your PC is a car...

Now imagine a ford cortina and a porsche, what are the differences ? Why is one car a good sports car and the other not ?

Now I 'Upgrade' my ford cortina, I put in a small block V8, is it as good as a porsche ? No because the 'bottleneck' is now not raw speed but handling. Supposed I upgrade the brakes, suspension, now is it as good as a porsche ? What about air resitance, and downforce? What about a spoiler, bodykit, performance exhaust ? What about the center of gravity ? Is the weight of the car a perfect 50/50 distribution ?

Its the same with your PC, each component is connected to the rest, the CPU, the FSB, the Disk/IO subsystem, the RAM, certain basic ratios must be maintanted otherwise one component can degrade the whole system.

These basic ratios form a basic 'Model' of the computers performance, but the reality is far more complex, we could create a more complex model but it would then be too onerous to manage. Its easier to create and test a real system, this is called 'benchmarking', where we create and test different systems using the same test and compare the results.

These same processes are used in many fields, bridge building, formula 1 racing, sports science, management consulting.

In your case I'd say the laptops better processor is the main factor, along with maybe a better FSB and RAM making it faster.

2. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i know that part.. but when VRAM ? at what time system RAM?

you may say"when you are about to display images ,job is done by graphics card
    and graphics datas processed by GPU is held on VRAM.."

but if VRAM is not adequate , rest of it is stored on RAM?

Certifications: CCNA
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

a car ...hehehe now before doing my military task for my land , i am about to get
    driving license and do not know many things about a car

4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well generally engineers like to know how all things work, at least at a trivial high level.

You are aware of gravity, weight, acceleration, inertia, friction, aerodynamics/wind resistance etc ? You do not need to be an expert mechanic to understand the analogy. You just need to be able to observe basic physics/mechanics.

You seem to demonstrate the curiosity but very little other traits of an engineer, you pose good questions but then fail to think about the problem logically.

I sometimes wonder if you should really be trying to become an engineer ?

howstuffworks.com is a good site for such stuff.

My point was that a system is composed of many parts and the way those parts work together can impact 'performance' in complex ways. There are many dependant variables involved, this is true whether we talk about the system being climate patterns, the economy, computer performance, car performance...

5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats generally correct, sometimes the graphics card uses system RAM to share stuff with the processor, the processor cannot directly access VRAM only the GPU can. Some systems have no VRAM and rely entirely on system RAM. Not all data is transmitted via the CPU and FSB as graphics cards and other cards can use DMA to access a block of system RAM.

The exact details will depend on the manufacturer of the motherboard, graphics card, GPU, graphics driver, amount of VRAM, amount of RAM. Direct X is a HAL in itself, it can adapt itself to the system and use different parts for different purposes, the same with the graphics driver.

6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i usually visit that site

7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

"I sometimes wonder if you should really be trying to become an engineer ?"

would you really wonder? perhaps i tell you my situation my story later

8. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

is this guy for real? :blink:D

WIP: Exchange
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Don't...

Just... don't.

Yes he is. Lets leave it at that.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Lmao. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...yet people continue to feed him, despite repeated attempts to teach him to feed himself.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

get what? :blink