Registry

Discussion in 'A+' started by morph, May 31, 2007.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Bit of a long shot - does anyone know a good website that takes you round the registry - tutorial type thing? the book i have does cover it a bit but not in depth - just wondered if anyone knew of a good online site as i'm at work and would like to have a little play here!

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I did a quick Google on "Windows Registry Tutorial" and came up with the following results page:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=windows+registry+tutorial&btnG=Google+Search

Start working your way through the different links. Some of them look promising. Good luck. :wink:

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. morph

morph Byte Poster

When i bought my mr myers book - it is an up to date book covering the new exams, but it wasnt the one that everyone recommeneded - Doh! Still it appears to me to be covering everything so far, but in the section on registry it says you should be able to know your way round the registry - understand the format if u like as well. I understand the Hive tree structure i understand the differant keys u get and could probably locate the correct one and change it - at a basic level - is this as far as i you need to go with the registry? i've had a look round and seen the books devoted to the registry - now i know i probably dont need to go that far - but was just wondering what anyone knew?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As I recall, you don't need to know *that* much about the registry. Just my guess, but I think all you need to have is a basic familiarity with the registry without having to be an expert.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Sounds like you are a little like me: I have to get the first principles of a topic to understand it properly. While not having done the A+, I know that if I were in your situation I would buy the book (If you can afford to). But then again, you have to consider time constraints: maybe read the book in bed instead of fiction. I think I'll probably still be doing my CIW when I'm 65 (but there will be no question that I could not answer).:p

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

From memory, the A+ wanted you to know the different keys and a basic understanding of what they are responsible for - that's it.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. morph

morph Byte Poster

:biggrin i'd be happy to get right into the registry - but i'd like to take my A+ exam in the next 3 months

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its really not that interesting unless your're a developer or a cracker...

Its just a heirachical database used by windows.

I've not done A+ but for support work you should know what it looks like, the hive files, how to back them up, how to edit reg edit, how to secure sections of it, how to clean it etc.

Also alot of malware and rootkits make use of registry tricks like embedded nulls etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RegDelNull.mspx

9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Don't mess with the registry. MS warns you in allmost every course not to do it, unless there is absolutely no other way and you know exactly what you are doing.
    But if you need, Sybex has a very good book on the registry. My book is on windows 2000, but it's a good start. I think they also have a 2003 version. Anyway, the book is titled "Windows 2000 registry" and it is from the 'mastering' series. Written by Peter D. Hipson. 700+ pages.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  10. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

I've just recently passed my A+, albeit 2003. I studied from MM's All-in-One, and from what I recall a basic understanding is required at this level. There was an emphasis on using the Control Panel to make changes, this being a safer move.

Good luck.

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer