Registration of engineers and technicians receives government backing

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, May 20, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Registration of engineers and technicians receives government backing

The Engineering Council welcomes proposals by Lord Sainsbury's Technician Working Group for the creation of a Technician Council to promote registration of Engineering Technicians (EngTech) and Incorporated Engineers (IEng) - and their equivalents in science, health and ICT.

The proposals were requested by Lord Mandelson in the 'Skills for Growth' White Paper in November 2009. The Government had recognised that intermediate skills were inadequately represented in the working population and insufficient status was awarded to engineering, science and health professionals at this level and above.

Read the article here.

-Ken

If this is made mandatory, do you think that this is a good or bad thing?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      I think its all going to come down to how its managed. I think its all going to come down to the criteria for registration, many ICT professionals have little or nothing in the way of accredited relevant qualifications so it has the potential to end up just being whoever can fill in the form and pay the registration fee gets it which makes the whole thing a rather pointless 'tax' on ICT professionals.