Register this connection's address in DNS

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by oliness, Oct 9, 2008.

1. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

Working on the 291, I've seen several practice questions where the solution is to clear the "register this connection's address in DNS" check box. Can I please just clarify exactly when this is done? Is the only time to do it when a server has two interfaces and clients are unable to connect to a particular interface? For example, if a proxy server is a LAN's link to the internet, would you always clear the box for the external interface on the server so that internal clients don't pick up that address (as the clients will need to go through the internal interface first)? Are there any other times when the box is cleared?

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Bit Poster

Edit : I think I didn't read your question right lol ... so forget the shebang below .. so yea - that is the only time "I" would disable it .... Cannot think of another reason at the moment ..

Edit2 : http://www.caida.org/research/dns/disable_dns_updates.xml

-----

I would clear it to avoid round robin.

For example :

Imagine you have a public and a private interface using the DNS server in question...

Public :
    IP : 85.85.85.10 /24 (just used this IP as example)
    Gateway : 85.85.85.1
    DNS : 192.168.10.50

Private:
    IP : 192.168.10.52 /24
    Gateway : n/a
    DNS : 192.168.10.50

So you would end up with

[​IMG]

As you can see you have two A-Records, with the same host name and different IP ...

So if another host wants to contact ie Client1 using this DNS server, it would resolve the IP using RoundRobin ... Something you probably want to avoid ..

Unless you remove the tick, it would always re-create the A-Record in question ....

Know what I mean ?

Obviously when you run a DHCP server in your network you may actually need it ...

Certifications: VCP, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA
    WIP: MCITP: Database Admin