regarding ways of accessing and configuring a cisco router?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Jun 12, 2009.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I repeat the CCNA chapters as you know. However, i forgot the ways of accessing a router. One of
    them was accessing from router's console port to serial port of a PC. (console access)

In this method hyperterminal was used for terminal emulation. While we do a Lab application, we could see
    monitor of router (in PC) but it was not the screen in hyperterminal. A different screen. I can not
    remember that screen.(it was like in lab simulators)

1- How could we reach the screen i told you?
    2- Think of there are only a cisco router and a PC. Neverthless, i do not want to apply hyperterminal.
    When we setup all physical connections from PC to cisco router except console port, such as ethernet
    connection, at what time we could telnet to router?

3- Also could we run command console to telnet?
    4- what were others? other screens?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

[​IMG]

This is why you shouldn't start pursuing the CCNA until you have real-world experience with Cisco routers.

If you really want to know how to connect to a Cisco router, any CCNA book should tell you... not to mention the billion Googleable sites out there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha that pic is ace :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Ha, Ha I love that pic B.M, i'm going to have to "borrow" it with your permission.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

It doesn't write in my Sybex book from Todd Lammle also in Internet. I have learned it
    on Course.(Certification education) but forgot it

Certifications: CCNA
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are you sure you've tried looking? A quick 30 second search on the internet brought this up:

See here.

Now, I'm not Cisco qualified, nor do I want to study any form of Cisco certification at the moment, yet I found the following ways. How many? Lets see...

1. a serial console or Command Line Interface accessed via telnet or Secure Shell
    2. an embedded Simple Network Management Protocol SNMP agent allowing management from a remote console or management station
    3. a web interface for management from a web browser

You've really got to learn how to use the internet.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Kobem, When I did the course I used the hyperterminal, through the web browser, etc... to connect and manage the cisco router/switch.... I am sure there might be other ways of doing this but the most common way is to use an application such as hyperterminal, web browser, etc. I did a google search and came across this link http://pages.swcp.com/~jgentry/topo/cisco.htm

Gives you the basics. What you're talking about regarding a different type of screen I have no idea... perhaps it was a simulator of some sort, I don't know but this is the main approach I believe. You can telnet as well...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Enjoy - I'm sure I'm borrowing it from someone who borrowed it. It's made the Intarweb rounds. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!