Referencing "jewish" people all the time?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by derkit, Sep 19, 2011.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

This is so far off-topic from certs that I was tempted not to post this question!

My missus had an American cookery show on in the background just now, and they were making chilli. Anyhow, the main presenter was being helped by a "friend" and as they were just about to serve it up for each other to try, the presenter turned round and said jokingly, "2 Jewish women making a Texan chilli - hehehe".

I've heard it before on different programs and we're at a loss to why people do this? I can't think of a time that I've heard "Christian men sipping wine", or "Buddhist children playing in the snow" or "Muslim women making the home nice" but quite often hear the statement of "jewish <person>" - without enraging some religious hatred, and is a genuine puzzle to us - why????

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

You're point is a very intersting one and is something I have thought about also, especially when watching American comedians cracking jokes about Jews. I suspect that a fear of retribution in critising other religions is a big factor why most people choose not to (I personally think 9/11 had a big part to play in this). Perhaps as a result of that the Jews are easy targets for wise cracks?

Whatever the reasons, I agree that it is somewhat perverese that making fun of the Jews is acceptable for some, whereas making fun of the Muslims (or Muhammad) is not.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Interesting point.
    I think it may be a testimony to the Jewish people that they can accept this sort of thing.
    You wouldn't get away with 'two black guys cook a burger' - despite the fact that technically it's no different.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

One thing to think about: It would not be all that strange to find a Christian man sipping wine or a Buddhist kid playing in the snow. Now if the subject of the show had been different and she had said "2 Jewish women making a New York matzah ball soup - hehehe" Now that would be strange. Whether or not the stereotype has truth one doesn't think of Texas chilli being the specialty of a couple Jewish ladies.

As far as comedians in general making religious/racial/sexual orientation jokes I don't hear that unless it is some sort of self deprecating humor, some sort of personal story about growing, or something similar.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

It's different in that nobody would think anything of a couple black guys cooking a burger least of which the two black guys so why would they make that comment and why would anybody have a reaction other than that of being puzzled? Now, were I to say something like that I may not get away with it unless they were doing something weird like standing on their heads. Otherwise why would I be mentioning 2 black guys cooking burgers?

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Another thing I've just thought of was that she was "surprised" (hidden-not-too-well bragging) about how she was "OK" at doing Tex-Mex food (which was the theme of the show I believe) and made the reference to that she was from New Jersey - I know it gets mentioned often that there's a high proportion of Jews in the New York area but still couldn't explain why she would do it?!

I could understand if it was some humour about themselves - which OK, they aren't offending anyone (I guess) - but I wouldn't make a joke "oh look, an English man cooking a Thai curry" - and I'm the first to laugh at myself - thinking about it a bit more I wonder if its a way of standing out, an advertisement if you will, but to what end I'm not sure.

7. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I think you may be putting a bit too much thought into what was probably an off the cuff remark.

I think you probably have a good read on it as far as the bragging goes. Regional cooking styles can produce heated debate and people from the west and texas think that people from the rest of the country can't cook barbecue or tex-mex. People from the south think that nobody else knows how to cook fried chicken, collard greens, or grits. The list goes on and on. I think she was bragging that she cooked a traditionally Texas Chilli despite being nothing like a Texas cowboy

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've just read your location - thanks for the good insight from the US :)

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I think it's a self defense mechanism, by using self depricating 'jokes\views' it means that if others try and do the same thing it doesn't do as much 'harm'.

You will see that a lot of Jewish comedians always use themselves or family as the butt of their jokes, it's because of this self defense mechanism that they do it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good point :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Yep you nailed it Simon ...we aussies do it all the time as well ... :)

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff