Redunduncy OWA / Mobile emails connection.

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Chopperchand, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following

We have owa / activesync setup on exchange 2010. We have had issues with the line that user come into the organisation on, But will this problem is being fixed user can't access OWA or emails on there mobile devices

The IP address that is register also works as our VPN connection.

My question being we have a second VPN connection / line that comes into the company. Is there away to setup a redunduncy so that it switches over to other IP address if one goes down.

Having got some instruction about it, I am told I need a UC / Public certificate, I then have to register owa / autodiscover and my exchange server name with my ISP. and setup something called Diverse Connectivity.

Is this correct and if so how does it work / configured?

The Hub / Client Access / Transport roles are on one server, we only have the one exchange server in our domain. with one mailbox database.

I hope this make's sense

Thanks

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I could be wrong here and I honestly do not know much about it as it's only touched on slightly through the 70-680 course material that I have so far covered, but would any VPN Remediation cover this?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I don't know what Diverse Connectivity is so I can't dismiss it.

How are the 2 connections terminated on your end? Do you have a load balancing firewall?

You also need a certificate if you only use 1 connection so that's not any different. OWA/EWS and Autodiscover websites have to be published on the internet, so yes, you do need a domain name, but it's not any different to what you probably have already. (Since you said that OWA/ActiveSync has been implemented).

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies

What I am trying to setup is

VPN 1 - 1.1.1.1 - This address is also the register exchange outside (e.g https://1.1.1.1/owa)
    VPN 2 - 2.2.2.2

Basically what happened was the link 1.1.1.1 went down, so not only could users not connect to VPN, but mobile emails and also OWA went down.

The other link was working fine. So what we are looking to do is if 1.1.1.1 goes down then incoming requests to 1.1.1.1 get diverted to 2.2.2.2 without the user having to change (https:/1.1.1.1/owa).

We don't have a load balancing firewall. As you say we already have OWA/Activesync etc.. setup. I just need to have it automatically divert to the other address if possible.

Having done some research, I understand the diverse connectivity is a re-routing setup by your line provider, that if I line fails it redirects traffic to the second line. But not sure how exchange would allow this connection to work. Or is this where the certificate comes in??

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012