Redundant staff 'have a six month window'

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Jun 24, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Redundant staff 'have a six month window'

People who lose their jobs have six months before the situation impacts on their employment prospects, according to a new study.

Workers who are made redundant have a six month window before they are viewed as being long-term unemployed, according to new research.

A study by the Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) revealed that while losing your job does not initially carry any sort of stigma, after half a year has passed a quarter of employers are less likely to hire someone.

Article

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Truth. Everyplace I've worked, when we received a resume from someone who has been unemployed for an extended length of time, we always wonder why they've been unemployed for so long. Are they damaged goods? Do they not interview well? Are they a few neurons short? Are they too expensive?
    2. craigie
      craigie
      Have to agree, when I was hiring folks, anyone who had been unemployed for a period would make us question, do they need to work?, why haven't they been working?, what have they been upto?, then the CV would get dropped into the bin.

This leads me to a different question, how best to explain if you have been made redundant, have been raising children, maternity leave, injury etc on your CV?
    3. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      If there are extenuating factors, I'd certainly do something like that if it meant that it would increase my chances of getting back on the employment horse. I'd either list it inline with employment or I'd mention it in my cover letter.
    4. jo74
      jo74
      What if someone's used that time (more than 6 months) to gain a few IT certs and pass an Open University course?
      Like me :)
    5. Sparky
      Sparky
      Make sure you put that on your CV then :biggrin
    6. jo74
      jo74
      They certainly are on my CV and are prominently displayed on the first page :D
    7. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      No offense, but my first two thoughts would be:

1) They can't learn on their own without taking a course for it, and
      2) They can't study for certifications while working.
    8. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      That's a bit harsh BM some people can't do a full time course and work as they have other commitments too. Although I see your point on can't do certs without a course but some people may be like what I was when I started on the certs, I never knew that you could study these things without a course.
    9. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      You're right, some people can't. But if he wants to know what SOME people are going to think when they pick up the CV, he needs to know. Sorry if it's "harsh", but it's the truth, mate. I'd rather hear the truth from someone than find out the hard way on my own.

Every single advantage and disadvantage matters.
    10. Sparky
      Sparky
      Have to agree with that as well.

No reason why you cant hold down a full time job and study for a couple of certs at the same time.
    11. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Not much hope for me then after 14 months of looking. I'll just get a seat on the nearest scrapheap and call it a day then :knife :hang
    12. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      It doesn't mean that someone who can't is less capable than someone who can though. Some people need to put more time than they can afford into learning whilst some people studying is as natural as blinking.

Not yet matey, keep trying it'll happen at some point.
    13. jo74
      jo74
      1) I self-studied for my IT certs
      2) Redundancy gave me a kick up the backside. I was in a 'cushy' office job in which I probably would've remained for some time :oops:. But I don't think I'll find such an office job again.
    14. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      You're completely missing the point. I never said they're not as capable. Despite that, if someone has taken time off to attend a course or two, their CV WILL be looked at with some skepticism. After all, isn't that what this thread is about??
    15. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      You didn't have to answer my questions. I'm simply telling you what some employers might think.
    16. craigie
      craigie
      Simple truth of the matter is that a person who earns a qualification whilst working full time is always looked more favourably than someone who got there qualification full time.

It was actually one of the things we looked out for when highering people with degrees, if they could obtain there degree part time over five years whilst working it shows:

- Discipline
      - Commitment
      - Long term planning
      - Ability to balance, work life, family life and embrace learning.
    17. neutralhills
      neutralhills
      If you have a gap in your resume you'd rather not explain just tell people that you took a sabbatical. After getting laid off in 2005 I took a six month sabbatical to further my photography. I started applying for jobs again in 2006 and not a single one of my interviewers batted an eye when I explained that I decided to pursue a personal photographic project. Hell, most of them looked jealous.

My resume mentions my sabbatical and includes a link to my photo portfolio. I've tracked hits and have been happy to see traffic from some large firms where I had dropped a resume showing up in the Web logs. Tells me they looked.

Don't hide the workless period or act guilty about it and you'll be fine. What will really cook your goose is if you reek of desperation. I don't like having that smell around me and anyone dripping with it gets their resume tossed.
    18. jo74
      jo74
      But what if someone's made redundant and then they then decide to do some vocational courses? I had a few months off during which time I decided to aim for the A+/Network+ during time off.
    19. craigie
      craigie
      That's a question I asked earlier in this thread.

The answer is to explain yourself on your CV/covering letter so it is clear.