Redundant Router Question

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by craigie, Sep 2, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Was just thinking about redundancy today using Cisco equipment.

I'm sure that most of you have seen the lab, I'm currently working on. I have configured redundancy on Switches using RPST and get how this works along side Etheral Channel.

What I don't know is about Redundancy on Routers? Is this covered on the CCNA or is it a CCNP topic.

An example is below, lets say that I have the following network:

[​IMG]

NLR01 would be the main Router, but I would want NLR02 as the backup Router in case NLR01 ever failed. With the same IP traffic flowing to NLR02 as if NLR01.

How would you do this? is it just a case of in the DHCP scope having a Primary and Secondary Default Gateway?
    Or would you load balance by changing the routing cost/metrics? or does Cisco have some Protocol it uses?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Cisco has a propriety protocol called HSRP.

Exactly how it works is not part of CCNA as far as i have ever seen. Only reason i know is i have seen it is used in our network at work!

VRRP is the open-standard equivelent.

Sure someone else will be able to give you more info, but like i said, pretty sure its beyond the scope of CCNA

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Think I may have just answered my own question with it being Hot Standby Routing Protocol HSRP

Not covered any of the other routing protocols e.g. OSPF EIGRPin great detail yet (on Chapter 3 of the ICND2 and they start on Chapter 8 ).

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Lol, think we must have posted at the same time more or less mate!

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I covered VRRP and HSRP in my last semester in uni and if memory serves me correctly its CCNP topic and its not in the ICND 2 guide because I struggled to get info on it. Basically what you doing is load balancing by creating active routers and standby routers all through a single virtual interface. If the active router for the subnet does down then the standby kicks in after a few seconds and still using the single virtual interface - so you dont need to change the IP of the gateway.

Google HSRP Lab there quite a few for you to try, wish i could pass on my uni lab but i only got my report write up now which wont be much use bar the router commands.... 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cheers Mr Z!

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

8. oush

oush Byte Poster

HSRP is not load balancing I think you are getting it confused with Variance Load blanacing. HSRP and Load balancing are covered in Cisco BCSI which is part of the CCNP and CCIP.

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i see my bad - redundancy is what i was explaining! :biggrin