1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

redirecting in <noframes>

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by sirdragon, Mar 5, 2004.

1. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

:duel

Hi Guys

A little question for you brainy types...... :D

just setting up a frameset and i was wondering if it was possible to use a

[code:1:f4fc21c6be]&lt;noframes redirect&#40;&quot;www.btinterent.com/sirdragon/noframesventure/index.htm&quot;&#41;&lt;/noframes&gt;[/code:1:f4fc21c6be]

or would that be

[code:1:f4fc21c6be]&lt;noframes&gt;redirect&#40;&quot;www.btinterent.com/sirdragon/noframesventure/index.htm&quot;&#41;&lt;/noframes&gt;[/code:1:f4fc21c6be]nah that cannot be right its gotta be inside a tag..... :?
    or would i have to enclose it all in a server tag???

[code:1:f4fc21c6be]&lt;noframes&gt;&lt;server&gt;redirect&#40;&quot;www.btinterent.com/sirdragon/noframesventure/index.htm&quot;&#41;&lt;/server&gt;&lt;/noframes&gt;[/code:1:f4fc21c6be]

in order to redirect to alternative site if the user doesnt have frame capabiliity. rather than having to add all the alternative data between the noframes tags.....

any ideas

:morebeer

martin

2. SimonV

SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

You could just include a simple java-script redirection between the &lt;noframes&gt; tags.

[code:1:0a28d87600] &lt;script language=&quot;JavaScript&quot;&gt;
    self.location.href='www.btinterent.com/sirdragon/noframesventure/index.htm';
    &lt;/script&gt;[/code:1:0a28d87600]

I've not tested this but is should work, although its very unlikely that anyone would be using a browser that doesn't support frames anyway.

HTH,
    Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I thought frames were old hat?

Well our web services team forbid them.

Your comments please :eek:

4. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

the Tutors :alien at NITLC sort of frown :noway on using frames...so i want to set up the &lt;noframes&gt; aspect in pure :angel html code if at all possible.

my original site called for frames so I did that in Dreamweaver, whilst I was doing the Advanced Access course.

Now I am doing the HTML course I am banned :banned from using dreamweaver... :cry: .so i figure that the &lt;noframes&gt; part of the site would be a good challenge. You know getting the &lt;noframes&gt; to look the same as the frame site. its nearly there (well as near as I'm going to get) but its the redirect that is causing the problems.

A normal &lt;a href&gt; wouldn't work but maybe a &lt;onload &gt;attribute might, failing that it will have to be javascript, (is onload javascript??) its not exactly cheating as it isnt ON the actual HTML site as such........ :lol: although i may be spliting hairs there.

:cheers2

martin

5. SimonV

SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

If you use this HTML action in the Head of your document this will cause a 0 second refresh to an alternative URL.

[code:1:5bd408854f]&lt;meta http-equiv=&quot;REFRESH&quot; content=&quot;0;url=http&#58;//www.btinterent.com/sirdragon/noframesventure/index.htm&quot;&gt;[/code:1:5bd408854f]

EG:
    [code:1:5bd408854f]&lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&quot;&gt;
    &lt;html&gt;
    &lt;head&gt;
    &lt;title&gt;Your Page Title&lt;/title&gt;
    &lt;meta http-equiv=&quot;REFRESH&quot; content=&quot;0;url=http&#58;//www.btinterent.com/sirdragon/noframesventure/index.htm&quot;&gt;&lt;/HEAD&gt;
    &lt;BODY&gt;
    Optional page text here.
    &lt;/BODY&gt;
    &lt;/HTML&gt;[/code:1:5bd408854f]

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...