Red Hat File Server

Discussion in 'Networks' started by werthers93, Jun 14, 2007.

1. werthers93

werthers93 Bit Poster

I have an old pentium 4 that i am thinking of using as a file server, and also to keep running overnight for downloads etc. in my last house we did this using Windows Server 2003 but my housemate left and took the old server with him.

Im thinking of using Red Hat as i dont really want to fork out on another copy of windows. Can this be done easily? And also can you remote desktop into redhat from XP? Im thinking of shoving it in my cupboard so I can sleep and there is no room for a monitor.

Mark.

WIP: WIP A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you just need to store files have you considered setting up the PC as a NAS device?

http://www.freenas.org/

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I run a FreeNAS box for just that, and it is the *easiest* thing to set up. BSD rocks. Barring that, I'd do CentOS any day over RH (it's RHEL without the proprietary badges and software). I've got one of those running too, without a problem. One of the few that does print sharing without a headache :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE