Recruitment

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by royisonline, Jul 8, 2008.

1. royisonline

royisonline New Member

Hi i am looking to work anywhere in the UK , but struggling to find any open opportunities out there.. can anyone help? :D

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

have a look on job websites like http://www.jobserve.co.uk

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There's also the jobcentre, monster, your local paper, and Edugeek sometimes advertises IT jobs in the education sector. You could also volunteer to get some experience and/or join a professional IT association like the BCS for the networking opportunities.

Don't be put off too much not finding a job straight away. It took me about 5 years to get my foot in the door.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Five years to get your foot into the job? No offense mate, but you're doing something wrong there. I have no certs and no exprience and after annoucing my desire to get into IT I had a part-time Junior Network Admin job within 3 months and I'm on my way to obtaining a CCNA now (I have a lab and everything at home)

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  5. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Well lucky you mate.
    I have no certs as well but do have experience in networking and I am half way my CCNA and no one has even considered me for as much as an interview so far.
    Let's just say that his walk through the door was a rather slow one but surly one that will last. Some of us that do get there fast also drop the ball quite fast. In IT, it never pays to be too cocky.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Getting the first IT job will probably be one of the hardest parts of your IT career mate, hang in there. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Mate, the area where I was living was not known for IT, I did not live in a city like Liverpool or London either did I have a driving licence/own car and public transport was (and still not) reliable. Plus while there were IT jobs out there, most in the area were paying minimum wage (£3.50 p/hr in 1999 and definitely lower before '99) for entry level staff and us with responsibilities could not afford a large wage drop. And the jobs that were paying a decent wage for entry level staff, there was alot more competition than there is now.

And now I'm an IT manager, a Chartered IT Pro, a MCSE, MCITP: EA and the list goes on... Don't mistake time to enter the IT field as continuing career development.

Maybe there are several different routes into IT and maybe not everyone is the same/has the same situation?

BTW, no offence taken.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Couldn't agree with you more on this point ''Don't mistake time to enter the IT field as continuing career development'' wagnerk. This mistake in unfortunatly made across the ''managerial arena'' all the time. It took me nearly 3 years to get my first gig purely because I had more pressing priorities to take care of back then ie: paying a mortgage, my first new born baby girl.

IT is a fair game, if you know your stuff you will get noticed and you will get places...there are plenty of examples here on the site.

WIP: Exchange