Recruitment Agencies Taking Advantage

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Adzmobile, May 19, 2011.

1. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hey Everybody,

Have you felt recruitment agencies taking advantage in terms of rates?

My personal situation is that hopefully i will be offered a perm position and the rate on the original job post which applied for was 30-33k..

Now when i have spoken to the recruiter he says that the pay will be possibly around 27-28k ... and typically high end candidates are offered the higher rate..

now this kind of annoys me... firstly the fact that.. if i was not to be a high end candidate then i wouldnt be able to do the particular job in the first place.. i mean if im doing a good job at what i was hired to do then doesnt this make me a high end candidate?

and secondly.. why has the rate originally offered now been reduced significantly?

I dont know if im.. thinking of this incorrectly or if its simply a fact of agencies tring to take advantage...

Has anyone else been in these situations.. Personally i want the salary to be fair... if the job advertised is 30-33k then i say 31.5k is fair.. but it is not fair to be considered for lower than the advertised rate.

Thanks Guys

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It's negotiating and business BS, welcome to the real world where your tech skills are only really 10% of the battle...

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If I was in a position to walk away, I'd walk away.
    It may be the company who's hiring you who's not playing fair here, not the employment agency. The employment agency may just be covering up for them because it's bad business to speak ill of the people who pay your wages. They might also have cut the budget after the advert went up because business isn't so good. Both very good reasons to stay clear unless you're unemployed.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Balance it out, can you afford to walk away from a decent wage like that, even if it is only 27-28k - if so, then fair play, but in this climate i'd certainly think twice.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I recently went perm after contracting with this company for 3 months, when I was approached by my boss and he mentioned a rate I took that as a given that it was the rate I would be applying for the job at.

When it came time to talk to HR they asked me what I wanted salary wise, I told them that I was approached about the position at X and that's what I was expecting, it was at the top of their budget range, needless to say I wasn't even asked to take a lower rate.

My reasoning behind the post is that if a position is offered at a particular rate then that's the rate you are expecting, as far as agencies are concerned it won't be them that are reducing that because after all they aren't the ones paying you, it will be the company hiring you.

Honestly speaking if I were you I would speak to the agency explaining to them that you wouldn't have gone for the interview if you had known about the lower rate and if you were offered the position you wouldn't accept it at that lower rate, the hiring company either like you and want you at what you're worth or they don't (the obvious caveat here is that you may not be worth the extra money in their eyes so don't be shocked if the company don't come back with a counter offer).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Diana

Diana New Member

The agency often gets a % of the annual salary so they often have no interest in negotiating it down. I know some will do this to test your commitment. When this happens to our clients it's a matter of balance. One trick is that you say OK to £27K but when you finish probation it goes to what you were given as an indication £30K+. Make them put this into the contract. It shows your commitment and you will get what you deserve very soon.

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

With the best will in the world, that's nonsense. 'Testing your commitment' is agency-speak for 'rinsing you for every penny they can get'. Don't believe the hype - the agency as a whole may well get a percentage of your annual salary, but the individual recruiters are on bonuses that incentivise them to get you to accept as low a rate as possible from the employer so that they get as high a bonus as possible themselves.

You know what you're worth, and what the salary for the role should be. If you think the agency are lowballing you, tell them to p*** off.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em