Recreating mapped network drive...

Discussion in 'Software' started by derkit, Nov 23, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

With regards to the mapped network drive:- Is there a time limit the network drive is connected to the users profile?

Only sometimes on users profiles under my computer I have noticed and been informed by the user that the Network mapped drive is shown as disconnected??:blink

In fact most of the users save there files on the shared network drives through word but sometimes it's not there and they have to log off and logg on again. Which is annoying when trying to work. Is their a command I can use in the CMD window to refresh the drives?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Do you mean they networked mapped drive icon has disappeared, or it loads up with a red cross on it?
    I've had the latter scenarios before, it just means the user had to double click on it to ensure it was accessible again.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The drives should be there until the user manually disconnects the drive and then it is removed. How are the drives mapped? Is it with a batch file when the user logs on? Also what OS is being used? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

The OS is WIN XP. The user has an AD account which is et up with Windows Server 2003.

The mapped drives are added by networks when the profile/AD account is setup.

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Sometimes when you go into My computer under the user account the share/network drives are missing with no icons there.

Another time the icons are there, but no red cross just the words under the icon stating network drive disconnected. :blink When it happens again i will take a snapshot of it.

But cheers for the advice Derkit and Sparky,R,H.Lee (BTW what does the R intial stand for?):biggrin

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It *might* be an issue with offline files, it you go into folder options and then go to the offline files tab you can disable it there. Reboot and log back on and see what happens. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs