Recovery partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnd76, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I was faffing about on my Laptop and was in Disk Management and noticed i have two recovery partitions...one is 600MB and the other is 14.16GB!

Why is this? oh I upgraded to Windows 10

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Pretty sure that it used to be that the smaller partition was the boot image for carrying out the recovery and the larger partition was the software repo, of course I could be wrong.

Generally speaking I have always deleted these to free up space.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Simon, yes correct. The OEM that installed the operating system creates a recovery partition with an image of the base OS on it in a Windows (WIM) image file (the 14Gb partition). The 600Mb partition is the WinRE partition. When recovery is needed the computer boots to the WinRE partition and applies the image to the partition with the windows files (boot partition). Result is fresh installation of Windows.

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
    dmarsh likes this.
  4. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Just to add to this post if it of any use. The recovery parition that the OEM creates will be a Windows image with all the usual bloatware rubbish on it. With a bit of fiddling about you can create your own Windows 10 build with your own customisations and create a WIM of it using DISM and use that image as a recovery image. You can copy this to the recovery partition and boot to WinRE or WinPE and use your image. I have an image of my Windows 10 configuration just in case. Of course you can store this image on most media. I have mine on an external HDD.

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation