Recovering RAID 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Jul 11, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys I'm in a bit of a nightmare my Maxtor Shared Storage died but the disks are fine so the RAID 0 configuration will still be intact but I can't get the data off by sticking them in my PC. I wouldn't be bothered but it's got my wedding and my pictures of my son growing up so I'm gutted. Any ideas on a way to retrieve the data or am I screwed?

Cheers

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda Netgear is it, a SC101?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. michael78

Netgear? You lost me Sparky :oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Sparky

My mistake, was writing an email to a workmate about a Netgear switch at the time! :oops:

Same question, what kinda Maxtor box is it? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. michael78

lol I thought I was going crackers, anyways it's a maxtor shares storage 2 device with 1TB spread over 2 x 500GB disks.

6. Sparky

Is it still under warranty?

Its difficult to recover a RAID, to be honest Ive never been able to do it with a server (had to restore from tape)

Have you emailed Maxtor tech support? They might have some recovery utilities you could use.

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Are you sure it's Raid 0? It could have been spanned inside the box thus making it much easier to recover the data if it was.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. michael78

It's Raid 0 as thats the default that it uses.

10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Often with RAID (Hardware) data recovery you need the same model RAID controller.

This is because the way the RAID controllers dealt with hard drives wasn't standardised (not sure if it is these days?)

This is why some people use third party controllers and not the motherboards built in ones.

means you can have spare controllers just in case.

but yes backup is the key.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. michael78

I had a sneaky feeling that was going to be the case but I bought another Maxtor and swapped the disks over and retreived my data. Thinking about it these NAS boxes where the disks aren't accessible are totally useless in RAID as the warranty says you can't open them (Seagate did actually give me permission which was surprising but said normally it would void the warranty) and if the controller fails you still have to return the whole thing meaning there is no redundancy in a lot of scenarios with these types of drives.

I have now bought a Thecus 3800 and 3x 750GB hard drives and set it up in RAID5. The device is hot swappable and now I can sleep easy at nights :biggrin

12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Nice, has play back features as well.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  13. michael78

It seems like a really good device but on Hexus forums there are a few complaints about reliability and speed. I haven't really tested the device yet but hopefully all will be fine. It cost me a small fortune but my data especially my pictures of my boy are worth a lot more.

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Glad you got your data back dude. Very risky business storing valuable stuff on a Raid 0 device. Don't let it happen again! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. michael78

I know I shouldn't of done it but I was too lazy to change the default :oops:
    In my defence it wasn't the disks that failed so the result would of been the same no matter what configuration I choose. It's made me think though about how precious my data is and that's why I've spent about £450 on a Thecus 3800 NAS box and 3x 750GB hard drives so that it won't happen again.