Recording VHS onto PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cockles, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, couldn't work out what would be the best one!

Basically, I'm looking to convert some old VHS videos I have to digital and hopefully put them on a DVD

Has anyone done this before, and do you need any specific requirements?

I am assuming that you would need to input the video signal via the graphics card. I'm currently running the Geforce 7600GT

Also, can the incoming video signal be recorded on something like Windows Movie Maker, then saved as an AVI file?

If not, does anyone have any recommendations on hardware/software needed in order to do this?

Sorry, lots of questions, but any help much appreciated

Thank you

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm no expert in this field, but I'm converting my old VHS movies to .avi then converting them to DVD format.

I have a 7600gs, but I also have a tv tuner card that I plug my vhs into. I use Movie Maker to capture the movie from the vhs and save it to .avi, then I use nero 7 to encode the .avi file to dvd format.

I'm sure others will have better, more efficent ways to do this.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Ken, you are a scholar and a gentleman

To be perfectly honest, I was hoping it would be some set up likte that. My 7600GT apparently has a TV tuner and that on it, so I was hoping I could run it through that. Also, didn't know Nero 7 would encode AVI to DVD so that's handy

4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Are you sure your card has a TV tuner on it? Cards normally have a TV out on them to connect to a TV, but TV tuners are normally a different card (ive never heard of them being integrated into a graphics card).

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I could be wrong. I just remember reading something about it in the manual being HDTV ready, unless of course it means it can run alongside a TV tuner. I must admit, this side of things I don't really know a great deal about

6. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

any Tv tuner +Pinnacle Studio will do the trick.

a friend of mine is using Windows Movie Maker but I think Pinnacle is way better.

btw as far as I remember only All-In-One series by ATI had TV tunes on board.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Excellent advice chaps, thanks

I'll double check my graphics card as I'm sure I remember some sort of Video In connector, if not then I'll look to getting a TV tuner.

I'm not overly concerned with making top notch quality DVDs from this. I just want to convert my old video VHS collection onto DVDs basically so I can get rid of it and free up some space.

10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It rather depends on how you want to do things whether that unit is 'good' or not. You *will* need USB2 for it - USB1 will not do.

The main point, which is both a benefit and a drawback is that it appears to produce MPG directly. Benefit in that if it is the right type will go onto DVD easily. The drawback is that MPG is nasty to edit - so if you want to edit these tapes then it will be sub-optimal.

Note that if any of these VHS tapes are commercial/bought ones then the capture card may not be able to capture at all.

Finaly - if there aren't too many of these why not get a facilities house to put them on DVD? Saves you messing about with capture systems, which can be tiresome sometimes.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Thanks Harry. I may just do that to be honest, I only see myself converting the tapes once anyway

This may sound daft, but how do I find out if I'm running USB 1.0 or 2.0?

Thanks

13. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Sorry, scrap that question, just found out

Ta

14. law123

law123 Byte Poster

I have done the same thing as you are trying. The first way I tried got a video capture card made by Pinnacle and it came with Pinnacle Studio 8. After weeks I gave up as I was contantly droping frames and that would cause the sound and picture to be out of sync. So I then thought about my camcorder as it has DV in and DV out. So I was then able to record any VHS tape on to my Camcorder and then to Studio 8 if I wanted to edit anything if I did not I used DVD Santa and then burn it to a DVD in the proper format.

WIP: A+