Recommended T-SQL book?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Arroryn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm just starting to delve into this, mainly so that I can administer my own queries on my asset database, as opposed to having to wait for someone more intelligent to wander around the corner :rolleyes:

I've thrown up this list in Amazon.

Basically, what would you guys with 'the know' recommend?

Cost isn't a factor - book quality is. Whilst the SAMS book has a good review, one isn't enough, and I recall having issues with the readability of the SAMS series in the past.

The dbase I am using is a backup copy, so I'm not in danger of breaking live data so I can happily type away to my heart's content.

Using SQL Express 2K5 by the way.

Books? Recommendations? Cookies?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

This one was reccomended to me :-

http://www.amazon.com/Gurus-Guide-T...CDFBD5D30EAB=2s209WXYguLoauh/CiRYmRcAAADR0YkH

I've owned it for a few years but have still yet to read it, I guess it depends whether you want a complete from the ground up book, a refersher or expert guide. It also depends if you are interested in core T-SQL or all the latest database features both SQL and non SQL related

This ones a little old now, I expect one of the new MS books might be a better bet these days.

Maybe try this ?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft®-Se...CDFBD5D30EAB=V98IzAhUiy7a/0DilITmKhcAAADSqosH

3. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

Hi,

The SAMS* one you have listed is a handy little book to have. I used to have a 10 min one before I could remember things. I have bought this SAMS one for my girlfriend to use at work. She doesn't need to know everything and these books don't really cover SPs very well or anything like replication but as a handy reference to have on your desk you can't go wrong.

*Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft SQL Server T-SQL in 10 Minutes

Hope this helps,

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Back in the day, before t'internet became as sophisticated as it is, we had to rely on books. I'm not an SQL programmer, but don't web tutorials serve you well from grasping the basics? :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.