recommended software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by moominboy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

can anyone recommend some free partitioning software?

i made the ubuntu partition way too big and just need to equal out he two (xp/linux) partitions.

ta muchly! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't know of any free software that could do this Moom. There is of course Partition Magic but that isn't free.

Just giving you a bump as nobody else has yet replied.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Again I don't know of any free software, but I use Partition Manager, its like Partition Magic, but cheaper.

8)

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

You can try Partition Manager for free here
    I do have to say that I use Partition Magic, and have only used Partition Manager once, so I can't say for sure how good it is.

Not sure if this is the same version, but this one is from Download.com

Another place to get Partition Magic & Partition Manager is from PC mags like PC Plus (they recently gave away one of those Partition programs, the 2003 personal edition for "free" - you have to buy the mag), they normal give good reviews of the software.

Sorry couldn't be anymore helpful - if you don't find the trial version's useful (from links), you have a whole forum of people here that can.

-Ken

p.s. just realised that simon gave the links already :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

thanks all. will be trying them promptly, bt now you mention it wagnerk, i do have tons of those discs lying around so i may get lucky!

:tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. connick159

connick159 New Member

WIP: A+, N+, MCP
  7. connick159

connick159 New Member

Sorry moominboy,

this is the one i meant to post...it's called QT-part and i use it for resizing partitions prior to loading syspreped XP images from a server.

hope this helps this time... http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

cheers,
    Connick

WIP: A+, N+, MCP
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

QTpart is on the Knoppix disk. I have just used it to change the partitions on a XP machine, and once I remembered to 'commit' I found it worked just fine.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

moomin,

It looks as if you already have been given the names of the tools to work for when using standard partitions with Linux. However, for further reference and future installs look into using lvm. It comes with the Debian installer, and most likely with Ubuntu and most other's too. It makes something similar to Windows dynamic disks in Linux. Once you set it up you can at any time resize, delete, actually move a partition to another physical disk in a computer, and add space from a second disk to an existing partition. It's really cool.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that you don't want to mount your / partition on an LVM partition. That will get you into trouble, but that's not really a problem as you can mix and match partitions in the same install. The root partition doesn't need to be very big when you create partitions for /usr, /home, /var, and /tmp using lvm. I created a standard / partition of 500 megs on one install and it was big enough because I created all the other partitions using lvm. The cool thing is that if you find you're running out of room on one partition you can take space away from another partition and add it to the one that's getting cramped.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1