Recommended Reading

Discussion in 'Project+' started by Arroryn, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Morning!!

I am looking at doing this little-publicised Cert alongside N+ - mainly as a precursor to Prince2, as I thought that particular cert would be a bit out of my depth for a first foray into Project Management.

But eBay leaves me lost for resource... does anyone have any books they have used, or can recommend, for me to study around the cert?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Check the reviews.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Spottek Steven

Spottek Steven New Member

I'm doing my Master's in Information Systems and the Project Management text book is This one
    - also used for CompTIA Project+ certification.
    It ain't cheap. though!

Certifications: ISP, ITCP, CNP, IEng, MIED, MBCS CITP
    WIP: MSc IS
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I nabbed a still sealed PRINCE2 book off Ebay and am also looking at the MS 70-632 Managing Projects with Office Project 2007.

Be warned the PRINCE2 syllabus/exam is changing in the Autumn. A local contact at SPOCE says they will be using the new exams from about July with an overlap of a couple of months for the old ones.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd get your line manager to realise your 'managerial' responsibilities and add taking a Prince2 course to your PDP. That way you get the cert and training and it costs you nothing.

The Prince2 cert seems to be by far the most recognised IT management cert in the UK, I would take it over Project+.

I'm not convinced you can learn project management on a 5 day course or from one or two books, but the certs will look good on your CV.

6. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Gosh Mr Marsh. I didnt know you have a lot technical certifications (comptia & ms) as I thought you were a programmer / software developer with Sun Java related certs. Good for you!