recommended mouse?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mallet, Nov 14, 2009.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I am getting a constant cramp with the sidewinder mouse that I won some time ago. The sidewinder mouse was a temp solution until my razer krait was fixed but OCUK craped up and couldnt get me a fix from razer. they decided 4 months later to give me a refund :dry
    For the obvious reason why I am not getting another krait is, it has a common problem with the scroll wheel that I wouldnt know how to fix. but the mouse felt great and light. I have an inch though to buy it again :D
    I am looking to get a simple wired mouse without too many buttons on either side of the mouse. and not spending over £30 and not £100 :biggrin something with a good simple grip hold like the krait. Was tempted by the steelseries kinzu mouse. My only problem with that mouse is its optical. I had a mouse that was optical and it had this odd problem where it would just drift for no apparent reason. I read that some mouses do that. I am not entirely sure if the kinzu would do that though.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My mouse cost me four quid. Works fine, and has done for about three years. Spend your money on something more worthwhile, IMHO.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

what was the make of your mouse zebulebu? to be fair, I am a bit wary on some cheap mouse's. the one that use to drift out was the HP optical mouse and that was under around a tenner. I had a good experience with the microsoft basic optical ones and they seem very fair on performance and price. Should I even bother for looking out for dpi numbers? does it really make a difference?

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  4. thepureintheheart

thepureintheheart Bit Poster

I recommend Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse or one of Razer's mice :)

WIP: A+, Network+, MCDST
  5. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I use the Razer Lachesis i think it is called and the Razer Naga mainly for gaming but also for general use. Great mice and although i was someone who always thought the desk was the perfect mouse mat, I changed my mind when i got the ExactMat with Wrist rest bundle. Never felt so damn smooth as this ever. No wrist pain either now :D

Do i really need them? Maybe not but i love the blue lights :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Unless you're working in high-end image editing where total pixel accuracy is an absolute must, then any optical mouse will work. Personally I've never used or needed to use more than three buttons, so the cheap Microsoft mouse I've got does me fine. I've yet to meet anyone outside of a graphic design department for whom spending more than a tenner was in any way justified. I think I acquired mine from a batch of meeces I bought for work once - four quid a pop.

Actually, I've just looked underneath the Mouse and it's so cheap there isn't even a model listed :biggrin
    There is, however, somewhat amusingly, the letters 'NOM' on the casing...

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Admit it, that's what drew you to it in the first place!

I have to say though I generally agree with Zeb. Unless I get a decent mouse bundled with my keyboard I don't particularly care what I have. (I am fussy about my keyboard, given the amount I type on a daily basis - just had to replace my one at work as the letters had worn off and whilst I could type okay, it was annoying anyone who tried using my desk while I was out :oops:).

My other half has always waxed lyrical about wheeled mice (he works with Autocad) and we buy this mouse at work for anyone that complains of "ergonomic issues" (also known as they've got something technologically new and pretty, what can I have?).

I currently have (and quite like) the Microsoft Natural wireless mouse - true to form, it came bundled with my latest ergo keyboard :biggrin

However, this may suffice!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not sure what the obsession is.

Unless you're the guy in the military who has the click on the letterbox that you want to fly a cruise missile through, I can't see how it could possibly make a difference.

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Obviously it depends what you use the mouse for...

I've always had high end mice due to pro-gaming, and in that category, they are worth the money. I've always had a Razer, and still will (when this copperhead breaks anyway). Cost me £40ish. I also have an everglide DKT mousemat, it's about 1.25ft x 1ft (think it cost 20) which was also worth it for low sens weapons.

I've parted from my gaming these days, but I don't reckon I could go back to a cheap mouse. The one I use at work is bad enough.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I use a Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse it only has four buttons on it, but is as smooth as a babies bum.

It also has weights inside of it which you can change to make it heavier or lighter depending on your feel.

If you do play games (which I don't) the button on the side can be programmed to exectute macros.

I have had it for around 4 years now, and it's by far the best mouse I have ever used.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm not gonna pay a bunch for a mouse. But I do love my Logitech MX700 - sadly, it's no longer manufactured and the successor just isn't the same. I've been buying up replacements on eBay.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Personally - I used MX700 for years until they eventually went end of life. Looks for a replacement and got myself a G5, which as craigie says, is a lovely mouse.

Currently using a MX620 at work.

My vote - G5 (corded) /MX620 (cordless)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nice mouse, but some of the G5 models lack one of the side buttons. Further, the G5 is also EOL. I think you can pick up an MX518 for a corded model, but sadly, no weights.

I've tried the MX620, and it didn't feel the same for some reason. Eventually, I'll have to switch to something.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!