Recommended material for 70-270?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by The_Rocker, Apr 30, 2010.

1. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

Hi guys, Im new on here but thought I'd join up as it seems useful :-)

Basically I am looking to power on towards MCSA | MCSE in the next 2 years or so preferrably. I did IT at college for 2 years (real basic for me and pretty useless in my opinion) then got a job doing helpdesk / 1st line support at Fujitsu on an XP / Server 2003 based network.

During my 2 years there I moved onto a team doing 1st/2nd line support and as such, thought I should get some qualifications, I did the 271, 272 and passed both first time with very little study.

I have just started a new job as 3rd Line support on a Win 2k \ XP \ Server 2003 based network for HP and want to hit the qualifications hard whilst I am young. (I am 20.)

I have the MS Press book for the 270 and wondered what the most recommended practice testing suite is that I should use in conjunction with it?

I already use VMWare for learning and can set up mutliple servers, domains, DHCP, GPO's etc.. So I know how to get things going.

Cheers

Certifications: BND: ICT | MCDST | MCP
    WIP: MCSA | MCSE
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You should be just fine with the MS press book on 70-270 as that's all I studied at the time and went through the readiness CD practice questions.

I would also recommend getting preplogic practice test exams as they are cheap and not too bad. I would however, not recommend them for the other MS exams as things get really serious from there on.

Best wishes:) and use technet as well to brush up on areas where you feel the book didn't dive deep into.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Forgot to mention! Welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  4. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

Cheers :-)

So you reckon based on my experience and the fact that I already have the MCDST, I should be alright with just the MS Press material?

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! that's all you need plus hard work:)

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, For Microsoft exams, MS Press is just fine, as is Sybex.

My opinion is quite biased in favor of Boson, as I write for them... but we don't have any ExSim MAX products (MAX = the good stuff) for the MCSA/MCSE exams. When you start the Vista/Win7/Server 08 exams, I would encourage you to check out our demos and see for yourself! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

I passed the 70-270 yesterday :-)

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!