recommended hardware for 64bit desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boycie, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

would anyone like to share any recommendations for a 64bit rig?

main purpose would be to run vmworkstation with guests including:

2008 windows (64 bit) server
    2010 exchange server
    windows 7 clients.

thanks peeps!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

A decent quad core CPU and a motherboard that can take shed loads of ram.

Alternatively I would perhaps look at running 2008 R2 server (with Hyper-V) instead, as it's a type 1 hypervisor you're going to get better performance from it compared to VM workstation which is a type 2 hypervisor.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

This - but I'd replace Hyper-V with ESXi or - if you buy a rig that isn't on the whitebox HCL - XenServer

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The thing with Win 2008 is that it can still be used as a desktop if required, with ESXi obviously you can't (and would require an additional machine to have the vsphere client installed on it).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I guess it would depend on how many clients/machines you want to run simultaneously. I was running an AMD Quad Core 2.4GHz (now 3GHz), with between 6-8 gb of ram, and that happily ran 5-6 virtual machines (combination clients & servers). The main bottleneck was the HDD, single drive with low cache (at the time).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

The ML110 G6 x3430 are pretty cool

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's true - though I'm guessing this is going to be used purely as a lab environment. If you want to use it as a workstation as well, then I'd still use VMWare server over workstation as it's free and, provided you don't use the sh***y v2.0 (hunt down 1.x instead) it runs really well. I ran our colo on three old Poweredges running VMWare Server 1.2 for two years :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for all the pointers here guys.
    It's going to be used as a desktop otherwise I would probably go down the ml route with esx. Found a VMWare guide for hardware and notice the processors listed are all amd (apart from 1). I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can get Xeon and i7s CPUs pretty cheap now which will handle 2008 etc no problem. If you go for a decent motherboard I'd recommend Gigabyte UD7 or Asus Rampage formula 3 with 12GB corsair RAM.

If you can afford get a couple of SSD drives for the OS and a 3 SATA drives for data and you will have a weapon on your desk :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Get the ML anyway, there is nothing stopping you using that as a desktop, if you needed to you could always change the graphics card (assuming you game). Failing that the ML will do just fine for running 2008 R2 and acting as your normal desktop (just find out the maximum ram that it takes).

Alternatively have a look at the Lenovo TS200's, they take up to 24gb of ram (DDR3 ECC) and are an excellent virtualisation platform (I am about to install a couple with ESXi and Hyper-V in the not too distant future).