Recommended gaming headset?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Arroryn, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Having arrived late to the Xbox party I've finally made my way to the online gaming world, and am starting to purchase (and actually play) games with decent multiplayer elements.

I want to game on GoW and CoD, the former with randoms, the latter with a set group of friends. I'm after a good wireless headset with good clarity on both voice and audio - what do you guys use and what do you recommend?

I'd say "budget isn't an issue" but hey let's say it is. So I'm willing to pay up to £100 for something, but for that price it has to be durable, preferably with a hefty warranty and pant-wettingly awesome.

Thanking yous :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i do the MW online and i use the one sided ear headset with the mic, and listen to the game noise through the tv. My tv has great sound so im very happy with it

A lot of people rave on about turtle beach which can range from £15 - £150, and people swear by them, a lot of these are wireless as well. To be honest i did use a set of these turtle beach earphones and found that they were good, but so were other headsets, i found a pair of triton to be just as good, if not better. Honestly i think people use turtle beach because of the somewhat 'wacky' name. I think they are over priced.

What id suggest is go to currys and see if they have some out on show so you can test them, then make your mind up that way, youd be miffed if you spent a wedge and then they were rubbish etc.

Go wireless tho, what ever you do

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I like my Plantronics Gamecom ones, can get them for £16-£30, but I don't play games...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I ran Xbox360 LAN events a few years ago at the NEC. So I've seen a lot of headphones used for the console gaming and I think Turtle Beach are a solid purchase with an acceptable price tag.

The reason Turtle Beach are widely known is because they sponsor ALOT of top tier teams and they were the first headphones that integrated the mic connection with the audio output.

They offer good quality sound, durable but can't be mistreated (where as SteelSeries can be thrown and survive). They come with good warrenty support providing you haven't made misused the headphones.

While they don't look as flashy as some, I'd always use them for my 360. 4 years, 3 consoles and still the same headphones :)

ps: SteelSeries for PC gaming, gotta love the Siberias.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Can't really suggest a headset for the Xbox, as I'm not really a XBox gamer. For PC, I use the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset and that's ok - but that doesn't help you here :(

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

I'm a PS3 gamer and use the official headset. I think it's great...no problems. Also because it's small and discreet I use it with my mobile phone as well

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  7. Arroryn

Thanks for the suggestions all, turtle beach it looks like it will be!

8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. Arroryn

free P&P that isn't guaranteed next day? Pfft that's not good enough.

10. Arroryn

11. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Sennheiser, good choice. 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010