Recommended CCNP reading material ?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Headache, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Can anyone recommend any good books for the BCSI, BCMSN ISCW and ONT ?

Also, rather than study for the BCSI and BCMSN separately, wouldn't I be better off going for the 642-892 composite instead ?

Mucho gracias.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The Composite exam was originally designed for existing CCNPs to take in order to recertify them more quickly (nowadays, you don't need the Composite to recert the CCNP). I'd not recommend it for aspiring CCNPs their first time through unless they've already got years of experience working with Cisco routers and switches.

For Cisco exams, I always recommend Cisco Press and Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Cisco Press and Sybex here to.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. BosonMichael

Hmm... that book's sorta old. I'd probably recommend Cisco Press until a newer Sybex book is released.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I'll nose around some more and see if I can find something more up to date.

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Sybex is definately a good choice.......

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

just passed the ccna and already beggining to study for ccnp, man you are a certification machine.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Cisco Press BSCI 3rd Edition just came out in like Dec....It is what I would suggest and what I am reading.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Headache,

My advice, whatever your decision may be, is to obtain study materials only for the single exam you're studying for. *hikes his thumb towards the piles of Cisco Press books I have for: 1) 640-503 ROUTING 2) 640-900 BSCI 3) 640-901 BSCI 4) 642-801 BSCI 5) 640-504 SWITCHING 6) 640-605 Remote Access 7) 640-606 SUPPORT*

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Headache,

From what I understand about Cisco certification, the difference between the CCNP and CCIP certifications depends on which side of an Internet Service Provider (ISP) you are currently or want to work for. The CCIP is geared towards current or future employees of an ISP. The CCNP is geared for the "customer" side of an ISP.

I hope this helps.

13. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Er, yeah.

Maybe.

... decisions .... decisions ...

14. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Headache,

Since the CCNP and CCIP both require 642-901 BSCI, why not take and pass that exam first? According to the 642-901 BSCI Exam Outline, there's a section called:

• Implement BGP for enterprise ISP connectivity
      • Describe the functions and operations of BGP.
      • Configure or verify BGP operation in a non-transit AS. (e.g., authentication)
      • Configure BGP path selection (i.e., Local Preference, AS Path, Weight or MED attributes)

So how about that "intro to BGP" section of the BSCI help you determine if you're interested in taking the 642-661 BGP exam towards CCIP.

Source:
    1. CCNP-Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/learning_certification_type_home.html
    2. CCIP-Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le8/learning_certification_type_home.html
    3. 642-901 BSCI-Career Certifiations & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-901.html
    4. 642-661 BGP-Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-661.html

15. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Well, can't argue with that. Go for the BSCI and then let everything else sort itself out. Certainly is the most sensible thing to do.

*sigh*

I wish I was sensible....

16. BosonMichael

Quoted for Truth.