Recommendations please!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by fitzsy, Oct 8, 2008.

1. fitzsy

fitzsy New Member

Greetings to everyone,
    I hope I'm submitting this in the right place!
    I'm going to be made redundant in Feb 09 and I'm looking for a slight career change. I'm currently a Data Centre shift manager, with main duties being on the IBM Iseries. Also reponsible for 600 plus servers out of business hours. Very limited exposure to the servers as problems are rectified by our server team. I have 28 years of IT experience. I have been informed of a server job going, but need to get my skills up to a decent standard. I want to take a MCSE but don't know which training company to use. I guess the majority or all of the training will be done from home. A friend has lent me a server to 'play about' with at home. If anyone can recommend a good training company (and any tips) I would be most grateful.
    Thanks and regards, Pete Fitzsimmons

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi Fitzsy and welcome,

The MCSE is really designed for people with quite a bit of server experience. It is a tough route. I personally self study as i can set my own pace and it save me quite a lot of money. If you don't think self-study is for you, then maybe you should look at your local college.

Here is a link to let you know more about the MCSE http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I agree, self study is the way to go.......oh and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Another vote for self-study.

Welcome to the forums.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Another vote for self-study.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. fitzsy

fitzsy New Member

Self study it is then! Can anyone recommend a good self study course? or are they pretty much the same.
    Thanks in advance, Pete

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what we mean by self study is get the books and practice and learn on your own. YOu do not need a course for any certs.

If you really want to do a course I always say go look at your local college and stay away from places like computeach and jackoff training, :oops:I mean Joskos :p

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can certainly go with a training center, but if you've got 28 years of experience, it shouldn't be that difficult to self-study, and you'll save yourself a ton of money.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...
    Try the self-study route first. You can always go to a Training Partner later (they don't mind :rolleyes:). At the very least, you'll already have a good understanding of the concepts before class even begins.