Recommendation required for Career Development while staying in UK for 30 days.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tarekahf, May 5, 2011.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well if intrested in Computer Science and not just a degree, I'd look at colleges that have top Masters programs in that area, Cambridge, Manchester, Warwick, Sheffield etc.

Otherwise I'd look for ones with the distance learning / part time aspects you require.

It seems a little strange you can spare 3-4 months per year including travel but can't self study or undertake distance learning.

Personally I think you're nuts !

Have you looked at the sylabus, you can't cover all the MCPD .NET 4 exams in 11 days, even with a bootcamp and 18 hour days. At best you could do cram revision. You're paying 9k for an exam cram/revision session. You're also looking at losing some time to actully sit the exams, so you lose couple days just to sit them.

Save it for your masters. Nobody can guarantee a pass unless they pass out dumps, some companies offer free re-sit etc. If you have only 30 days this may not be useful.

I passed Project+ in one week self study, if you have had PMP training why take another course ? Just get a test cram book and exam simulator and book the exam at a test centre in Canada.

If you met the MCPD requirements why not self study ? If you don't meet them then you should not certify.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Link: CertForums - The Certification Community

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

First of all, thank you.
    Appreciate it if you could post a few names or links.
    I will take leave without pay from my current work. If I am working, I cannot study. I can still take Leave Without Pay to do Distance Learing, this is also an option. Could you suggest some names.

I think you are exaggerating a bit. I have solid expereince with VS 2005 and .NET 2.0. I am confident that I want to upgrade to .NET 4. My company will pay 50% of the cost, so this is a must for me.

I think you have a point here. I will think about plan changes here. I need to arrange for a place to stay away from family for 1 week, prepare for the exam using self-study, and take the exam. So the first thing I found suitable was Firebrand, but very expensive! Any other suggestions ? Could you please list some test cram book related study material for this purpose.

I meet the MCPD requirements. Self-study ? Yes, this is an option. I tried before a lot to do self-study, but I failed. This is a fact.

Tarek.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I posted the top UK unis I know of, there are many ranking lists on the internet. The OU's been mentioned also. I mentioned the Charles Stuart University. Many places also offer part time/distance masters for people in work whereby you can submit project work and get partial credit etc. Use google and have a hunt around before you spend 10-20k on anything.

I appreciate projects can get knarly at times, but over a whole year theres normally a couple slack periods. Most people can arrange their lives so that they have 8-20 hours free a week using evenings and weekends. You may need to talk it over with your partner and explain it, its no worse than leaving her for 30 days straight. If your children are very young or demanding you might have to leave it for a couple of years, I don't have children so have to get advice from the parents here...

If you are solid on .NET 2 then you just need to learn the new .NET 4 aspects and use the study guides. Its not that big a leap from .NET 2 to .NET 4 for people with experience. Please realise that many people come here wanting to get MCPD from a TP spending $$$ with zero expeience.

How did you fail ? Did you analyze why and try to fix it ? Did you fail at study or the exam ? Its like anything, tweak the situation, rinse and repeat. If you have the MS training guide and put in 120 hours deadicated study in under a month you should be able to pass. Use the measure up online test sims too. I agree that it can help to take leave for the MCPD exams as they are hard and you need an intense revision period, I was between contracts and took 2-4 weeks per exam fulltime bootcamps style self study at home, only way I could do it.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

I am considering this option seriously. I will take Microsoft MCPD .NET 4 for 11 days with Firebrand, and I will plan to take the PMP exam after 2 weeks. During this period I need to find a place to stay, to study and prepare for the PMP Exam.

If I will not go with Firebrand for PMP Course/Exam, then how I can decide the location and schedule for the PMP Exam in UK ?

How I can find a place to stay for about 10 days which is good for study and near the exam location ? I need a place which is clean and low cost.

I think I can arrange to find a place to stay in Cardiff since I have connections there. I appreciate any information you can provide in that regard.

Tarek.

6. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Why do you need to do the exam in the UK? Can't you do it somewhere closer to home at your convenience? As mentioned earlier you need to get all your documentation over to PMI before you can book the exam, and the next date could be months away, trying to fit that in during the same period you are in the UK doing other courses will be tricky.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  7. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

Because my plan to stay in UK for 30 days during my annual vacation which I want to take advantage of, to get Microsoft MCPD Certification, and complete the PMP Exam at minimum, towards the end of July.

I have quite enough time to plan for this.

Tarek

8. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Maybe you have enough time to plan for this but your dependency is on PMI. You need to get your documentation over to them (a pain in the arse of a task), they need to review it and if you are eligible they give you a code which you need to enter on the Prometric site when booking the exam. This can take a while.
    Then you need to book the exam (i had to wait 2 months) in an area close to where you are staying on a date that does not conflict with your courses.

I think you are going to struggle.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  9. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

OK, I see. You have a point.

I hope you can understand how much I am struggling to get this certification since last year. I must give it a try.

Suppose I will arrange for the PMP exam from PMI.ORG and Prometric site, and after paying the fee, and then I find out there is a conflict between my stay and exam schedule, the as per your experience, can I request to re-schedule for the exam and choose another location ?

At worst, I will arrange to study during my stay in UK (self-study or in a class room), and when if I cannot attend the exam due to conflict, I will request to change the date/location. Do you think this might OK?

I found this offer:

PMP certification programme, gain PMP qualification, england
    prepare for PMP certification, gain PMP certificate, London

Do you have any idea about it ? I requested a quote.

Thanks for your help.

Tarek.

10. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

*** removed ***

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  11. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  12. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

Last edited: May 17, 2011