recommendation for the Security+ exam

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Molivier, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Molivier

Molivier New Member

Hi all,

That's my 2nd try to pass the exam, I'm using materials form TestKing, Microsft and some video.

The first time I missed the exam for a 20 pts., thanks to a big mistake :oops: and a long history :blink , but now I have take my time to study and make some research.

I need your help, what books, websites, and references can you send me to use? I'm thinking to schedule the exam for the end of the month.

Thansk to all :)

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: Sec+, Lin+, Ser+, MCSE, CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Drop TK mate :dry

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Molivier

Molivier New Member

:blink Why Sparky???

I have take the 430 question and jost missed 35 8)

Have you a better guide study guide ??

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Because it's a braindump, an illegal collection of questions on the live exam. Using it is cheating - no different than stealing a professor's final exam from his or her desk - and using them can get you decertified.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Molivier

Molivier New Member

:eek: I forgot that... sorry....

Ok, will schedule the exam to april 30... :)

6. BosonMichael

Mate, once you learn what a braindump is, that's not really something you casually "forget". :blink

Now that you "remember" them... stay away from them. It may take you longer to get certified, but you'll be a stronger tech in the long run, I promise you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Molivier

Molivier New Member

it's my first time using it, and was jost to see how i'm on the topics :cry:

.... sound strange but that's my first time using TK. as guide.

8. BosonMichael

It happens, man. No shame in not knowing - it's not like they advertise that they're a way to cheat, ya know? :)

No harm, no foul. All is well. :)

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it's funny they actually advertise them as practice exams with solutions. Now don't flame me but I download a demo of their A+ stuff the other day (as I just wanted to see what a BD is like) and 27 of the questions that were in it were in my 602 exam.

stay away from BDs you won't learn anything.

It is now binned from my PC never to be let on again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Molivier

Molivier New Member

Taked the exam today and scored only 720 :x

Can someone give me some clues to get a "goog" book to study? (sorry for the english - if possible I can write it in spanish :tongue)

11. BosonMichael

I took the old version of the exam, so I don't know what is the best to use for the new version... but the Syngress study guide worked for me.

12. Crito

Crito Banned

All I used for Security+ was the training package CompTIA sells on their own website.

https://store.comptia.org/product.aspx?product=CP_SEC_47135
    It's a bargain if you ask me... provided you have spare hardware to setup the lab environment they use in the $2000 class.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  13. Molivier

Molivier New Member

Thanks BM and Crito,

I will start from scrach to try to re-take the exam on a few months (US$251.00 it's big amount for me :blink ).

No more MS book... and of course BD stuff 8)

Hope to :box2 with that exam again. :D

... Anyone know where to find "good" info about "PKI"?

Thanks again :D

14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I used an old version of Learnkey's Security+ and then I used Examcram's Security+ book. Added to IT experience, I passed.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. Corsair

Corsair Nibble Poster

I found the sybex book very good.....

I would suggest you to hurry up a little in your next attempt... last time I checked the comptia.org website they were looking for some SMEs to work on updating the security+ exam.... Its been a long time since that exam is not revised and when they do.... that means that you have to go back to the books to refresh/prepare for the new content....

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS, Security+, Network+
    WIP: CCNA
  16. llcooljsl

llcooljsl Bit Poster

I have been reading this forum for a while as a guest user and found the advice very useful in choosing my path of certification.

I decided I would register as from time to time I do occasionally have questions.

I was doing the 70-270 MCSE module, but just found out my nearest test centre is london and I dont fancy a nervous 2 hours on a train before my exam, so decided to go down the comptia route as my local test centre is a 10 minute walk.

I have already done A+ and network + via conventional methods, I bought the books, downloaded some videos I think from CBT or something like that and I also had some practice question(as I thought) from testking or similar. I used it a couple of times, was getting 80-90% so took my exams and passed first time.

Now bearing in mind the investment cost of the books, training material, practice equipment, exam costs and potential travel costs, not to mention the time it takes to study when working full time this brings me on to my question.

Would people agree with the distinction that there is a difference in studying correctly, through official books, practicing with real equipment, watching tutorial videos and then using something like Testking to give you an almost guarantee that you are ready to take your test...and someone who does no study and revision and simply memorises the answers from testking or alike?

Because I for one can't afford to fail, its as simple as that. I am looking for work so don't just want to pass I want to be able to do the work and do it well, so for me being able to be pretty confident my £185 or £164 is going to get me qualified is essential. If I revise without it, my scores vary from 60-95%, with it my scores range from 75-100% so if I turn up on the day, nervous and tired as I can never sleep before an exam and then I fail, £185 quickly becomes £370. As an unemployed person that is a huge amount of money and it would add pressure for the second time.

So anyway my point was perhaps people are too judgemental of Tk and alike and should seperate off people who do no work and indeed are cheating, and those who work just as hard but for financial and pressure reasons need the validation before paying for an exam.

Certifications: A+ Net+ Sec+ MCP MCTS MCSA:Security MCSE CSSA CCNA
    WIP: MCITP: EA
  17. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Total crap, if you put the work in using legitimate training resources then you wont fail unless you have really bad day when you take the exam.

You don’t have to spend hundreds of pounds for the CompTIA exams imo, get a couple of good books and you are good to go.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. postman

postman Byte Poster

Unless you're a complete idiot!!

The compita+ exam should be for people who show that they understand how can they at the very least understand how computers work.

Pure logic over raw emotion.

I know what I'd prefer!!!!!!!

WIP: A+
  19. BosonMichael

Microsoft makes no distinction, Cisco makes no distinction, CompTIA makes no distinction, and I make no distinction between them. Cheating is cheating is cheating. And studying to the live exam - even to avoid paying for two exams - is cheating. Paint it however you want to... and justify it and rationalize it all you want to... but it's still cheating.

If you can't afford to fail, don't take the test until you are ready.

I'll put it in clearer terms: if you need Testking to pass, you're not ready to hold the certification. If you are ready to hold the certification... then you do NOT need Testking to pass. It's that simple. If you have to cheat... you're not ready.

Thus, there is absolutely no justification for using braindumps.

We are judgemental of TK, as are the certification vendors themselves. They ruin the value and integrity of certifications... no matter how they are used. You can disagree with us all you like... but the vendors who give you those certifications agree with us.

20. llcooljsl

llcooljsl Bit Poster

I appreciate the replies, and I can see your point, much like it is hard to deny the logic of CCTV cameras, ID cards and chips which monitor how you drive, after all if you are not doing anything wrong, why would you object? But that is not the point in that situation and its not the point in this situation.
    A braindump as you call it on its own of course is cheating and useless, and those using that method will be found out quickly in any job they get, if they can even get past an interview, unless testking does interview braindumps?

I had practice exams, past papers and 'sample questions' set by teachers for GCSE's, A levels and even at degree level, sure these are not necessarily exact questions but you can bet they are not far off, and if they could use exact questions they would.

The reason the vendors are against them is because if people lose respect and trust in the quality of the candidates then this will feedback to the quality of the certification and subsequently people will stop taking it as it will be worthless so in this respect I understand and agree with you, but that was not my point.

When I turn up to a job interview I know I have studied hard using official materials, have practiced on the right equipment and software and have real world experience to back it up, the piece of paper is just to get you the interview, beyond that however you got your piece of paper determines whether you get the job, afterall thats the point here, getting jobs, better jobs, more money.

So yes I agree if everyone did no work, had no experience and just used braindumps it would be detrimental to the reputation of the certification, but I can assure you when I turn up for interviews I do my certifications proud.

Certifications: A+ Net+ Sec+ MCP MCTS MCSA:Security MCSE CSSA CCNA
    WIP: MCITP: EA