Recomendations for a combined Switch and Access point ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmarsh, Sep 28, 2011.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've got a wired connection from my router at home to a separate part of the house with no WiFi coverage.

I'd like to stick a Switch / WiFi access point here, anyone have any recommendation for cheap decent home devices ?

2. Dwalf

Dwalf New Member

That depends on what you want to do?
    Do you want the WIFI to be on the same IP range as your existing router (Does your existing router have Wifi?
    Or if it does not matter an easy option is just to stick in a wireless cable router

3. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I'd just get a standard cable/adsl (it doesn't really matter) router, put it's management IP into the same range as your existing router uses, and disable DHCP. Then, connect your network to one of the LAN ports, and you're sorted.

This is how I've got my network configured at home. I'm using 2x WRT54G's at the moment, with my ISP-issued Thomson router.

4. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Agree, I used to do the same with a BT Hub and a cheap wireless netgear router
    example: Netgear 54Mbps Wireless B Router 4-port switch WGR614 | eBay
    My BT hub was in a metal garage (long story) so I ran a hard cable out to the Netgear

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thanks guys, got my WRT54G working on same subnet now :)

6. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

Well if you want to save money then i would suggest you that you can make your wi-fi laptop to act as access point and provide internet connection to all other W ifi devices in your house. This trick works on windows 7 OS only. You can also install wi-fi connectify software which will make things easy for you.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA