recently passed MCDST, question on CV

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by mig29, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mig29

mig29 New Member

Hi guys,
    i was working 2 years as desktop support, unforunatelly havent dealt with group policies\servers much at all.
    After beign laid off from previous employer i was looking for jobs about 2 weeks, i was offered to be a tech in retail computer shop, and i accepted it, since then passed 2 months, now i completed MCDST and started to look again for desktop support role. Would you advise me to put on my CV my current work or not? i think it can show me in not very good perspective , since i am looking for a job in more corporate/business environment again.
    Thanks

P.S.
    not sure if i asking this in rigt topic though...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Sure, it's relevant experience after all...
    It's better than having a 2 month gap on your CV.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Hi Mig,

Simon's right, you'd have to explain the gap, then you'd have to explain why you weren't being proactive in finding work for that amount of time. Better to be honest from the start and besides it won't reflect bad on you that you work in a retail outlet.

Again just be honest and say you did what you had to to get the bills paid, but it's a short term position as you're looking for progression and a career, any experience is worth noting as you're giving customer service as well as your technical knowledge and to an extent customer service is more important...

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You should definitely leave it on. You might not be doing commercial IT support but you are doing IT support. You didn't leave your last job to take this one so it doesn't show poor judgement on your part.
    I can't honestly think of a single negative thing about your current situation. Life dealt you a bad hand with losing your last job, but you rolled up your sleeves and went back to work doing something that keeps your skills sharp.
    If you're still there in 18-24 months I might think you've got stuck on your comfort zone, but at the moment it shows you'd rather graft than sit about waiting for someone to spoon feed you the job you think you deserve.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job