Recent graduate - How to get my first role in IT? or do a Msc?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by asianguy, Jul 18, 2015.

1. asianguy

asianguy New Member

Well, I'm currently 21 and have just finished studying IT at university (I managed to secure a 1st class overall).

However here is my big problem. I didn't do a placement year, hence I have no industry experience at all! Now it's been almost 2 months since I finished and I can't seem to secure a job.
    (I have had 6 interviews so far...)

Financially I am at my breaking point, hence I am becoming more and more desperate to get a IT job.

I've gone for 2 types of roles "IT Support(1st line)" and "web developer", I do not have experience for either though. Anyway, the university has offered me a free Msc Computer Science, because of my low-income/ethnic background/hard work?

So, either I find a IT job by September or do the free Msc, which would you guys suggest? (Honestly, I am not fussed about salary! I really just want some experience)

So guys, please give me some advice on what to do. I am really confused.

Should I forget the Msc, do any job - save up and do a CompTIA A+ instead?

Or

Do the Msc for 1 year (+ work part time at a call centre) - improve my computing skills hence it might allow me become a web dev or do a PGCE straight after the Msc?

----
    Sorry for the long post and awful grammar, it's just been stressing me out for a while.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A masters wont solve your job problems, you'll be back in same position in a years time, unless there's something awfully special about what you will do on the masters...

Personally an IT Masters is to me an anathema.

You don't need a masters to get into IT, you cant do a Phd in IT, whats the masters for exactly ?

Why would you need A+ if you have a 1st in IT ? Surely you should already know 99% of the content of the A+ ?

Two months is not such a long time to search for a job, give it a bit longer, 6 interviews in two months is good, so you must be doing something ok ? Try and work out why you aren't closing at the interview stage and getting offers.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  3. asianguy

asianguy New Member

Hi,
    Sorry for the confusion I did IT, however the university has given me a scholarship for "Msc Computer Science"

I need the A+ to verify I know all the content, it would make me more competent/credible/employable within the industry?

I still have till September to tell the university whether I accept the Msc or not, and I'm just not sure if its worth it - will it help me in the industry or even later in life? I have no experience at the moment and can't even secure my first IT job...

This is why I am so confused on what to do, what do you guys think?
    1. Do the Msc
    2. or find any job, save up for the A+ and then get into the industry

4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why cant you get an IT job ? You've had six interviews ? Just keep trying.

What makes you think Msc or A+ is necessary or useful ?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

DM is spot on with what he has said.

I think you maybe should look at voluntary work, that looks great on the CV and helped me get my current role. I was in your situation after graduating and all I did was keep applying, going to what seemed like endless interviews and basically tried to stay positive.

Hard as it may seem now, its worth plodding on and dont think that because you have a 1st that you're going to walk into a job. However having degree will help you in the future.

If I had my time again, i would not have gone to uni.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If the uni was any good at all, in three years they should have taught you enough to get a job if you have a 1st.

I'd be amazed to hear that modern university courses don't cram some web development into a 3 year degree ?

If the uni was not any good, going there for an extra year is not a good idea.

If you do want to self study IT support or web development its quite doable and you don't need a uni and certification is optional.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  7. asianguy

asianguy New Member

Hi,
    honestly it's a long process and very tiring. Financially I can't hold out much longer either (hence I am starting some part-time work soon)
    I have started studying the A+ as some recruiters have said it's what I am lacking at the moment to secure a job.

If I did a apprenticeship I would be in the industry with 3 years experience now, and could have got the degree any time later. However I guess you're right, it will help in the future. I will start looking at some voluntary work!

There was some sort of web development but it was awful. I am mostly self-taught with HTML/CSS, Photoshop, wordpress etc but I lack any sort of commercial experience, hence don't even get called for interviews in that field.
    I've had most of my luck within IT Support and that's what I want to pursue now.

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can sign on for Jobseekers allowance as soon as you leave university. There's no shame in it as long as your are genuinely looking for work, which you are. However any job might be a good start if things are really desperate.

A+ is not a bad move if you can knock it out quick, I'd expect you to know the A+ stuff after 3 years full-time study, even if it was self taught.
    You're getting interviews, so you just need to confidently answer questions at interview and sell yourself. A certification exam isn't going to alter that (studying the syllabus might), its largely to land interviews for people with no qualifications on their CV.

You currently lack commercial experience in EVERY field ! So don't let that stop you learning new skills and applying for roles.

Web design and Software development are largely self taught disciplines. If you had a passion for it you wouldn't let that hold you back.

Most IT jobs require you to up skill constantly, with very little support, mentoring or training.

Agents will tell you you're no good for a million reasons, sometimes they may provide helpful advice, other times they may be dead wrong.

Goodluck ! :)

9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I could be wrong here but isnt a CS degree more focused on programing? I dont think it goes into much detail hardware-wise.. I could be wrong, just going of from what Ive heard.

10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

He didn't say he took computer science, he said he took IT. I don't know what an IT degree covers, but if it doesn't qualify you to work in IT, whats the point?

Its normal to study Computer Architecture and Operating Systems on a computer science degree, this with a little bit of self study and messing with your own kit should cover most of the A+.

I've never taken the A+ or studied for it, and I've completely disassembled multiple laptops, installed new thermal paste, new keyboards, new SDD's, memory. Built 6+ desktops from scratch. Diagnosed 100's software issues.

I've never been desktop support, computer tech, IT support, helpdesk. Most of it is pretty easy stuff to pick up.

11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ah right misread. If he did Information Technology I believe its alot of businessy stuff like ITIL, I remember I was going to do it but chose differently. Tbh OP Id get the MSc.. I mean, why not? Its free, surely its better to have it than not to have it. If your overall goal is just tech support then possibly go for the A+, if you lack the knowledge whicg I suspect you do, then learn the A+ is pretty good.

12. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Like dmarsh already said, 6 interviews in 2 months is good going. If you carry on like that you'll have one in no time. If I were you I'd just focus your energy on that and get a job in the mean time doing anything to keep you going. It might be a good idea to repair a few pcs/laptops for friends or buy some old laptops in to refurbish and sell them on too. (There's some healthy profit in this if you can get them cheap enough. Try buying/selling groups on facebook) It's also good experience for a job and you can also spin it as your own business in an interview. A+ can't hurt but I think with the interviews you're already getting you just need someone to take a chance on you at the moment. I'm not convinced certs/MSC will make a huge difference right now.

dmarsh likes this.
  13. asianguy

asianguy New Member

I've read everyone's replies here and I appreciate the comments so thank you very much. It's helping me get a better understanding of what to do.

Let's say,
    I manage to get a job before sep 20th, should I work full time in my new job (which I have to anyway) and do the Msc part time? as it's a free and Juelz says its better to have, than not to?

14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you can, take the opportunity to do your Masters. True you do not need a Masters for the IT field, but you never know where your career will take you - you've mentioned the PGCE (so I assume that teaching is an option for you in the future and there is talk about in the future that all teachers should have a Masters - whether or not it is implement is another story), if you decide to migrate to another country you get extra points on visa applications, etc. Especially since it's free :)

I know that you (or anyone) can't live off fresh air alone, however 6 interview over 2 months is really nothing. It took me about 5 years to get into IT (it's taken some others a lot longer, it's taken some others a lot shorter). The main thing is never give up, keep on trying, review your CV, your interview techniques, soft skills, etc... Remember for graduate jobs, there's about 85 applicants per vacancy (up from 70 per vacancy in 2010) and about the same for standard (non-graduate) jobs in IT.

IMO, the best option is to either get your Masters full time while working part-time or working full time while getting your Masters part-time, but it is also the hardest option (I'm doing the latter, however whether or not I complete my Masters is another thing - however there are leaving points during the Post Grad program, eg Post Graduate Cert, Post Graduate Diploma or Masters). That way you get your qualification and the experience to go with it. But everyone is different, there's no one size fits all :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security