Read receipts in OWA 2003

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Jellyman_4eva, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

I originally posted this question on Exchange Technet forum only to have a reply which was completely useless...

Basically I have a user who uses OWA 100% of the time, and she sometimes uses the options to request read and delivery receipts which work fine. However these messages are not permanently deletable from OWA?!

If she does the usual and hits delete to put them into the Deleted Items, they go there happily, if she then deletes them from Deleted Items so they go to Recover Deleted Items, this too is fine, however if she then goes into Recover Deleted Items and hits permanently delete, OWA pops up an error box about access denied or may have been moved etc...

Also if she shift deletes them from the Inbox, (i.e. permanent delete) the same message pops up, however the receipts then move to the Recover Deleted Items...

Now I know why should I care about this etc but I do!

Firstly, can anyone else replicate this behaviour (ie my Exchange installation is normal?)
    Secondly, why can you not permanently delete receipts in OWA 2003?

Any help would be appreciated.

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was not able to replicate your situation, however I did have the same problem with permanently deleting the emails from the recover email option in deleted items. I don't really know for sure why it doesn't work. From what I read some state that is a policy that exchange has, since I am no expert in exchange I can't really confirm that.

I was able to fix that issue by login into the outlook client and doing a permanent delete in the recover items option. Once I did that, when I was deleting emails in OWA, I was also able to delete the items from the "recover items"

Edit: this was happening to me not just with the read receipts but also with regular emails.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA