ReactOS

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by TimoftheC, May 22, 2008.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Anybody have any real experience of using this and how well does it live up to the claims made on the ReactOS web site? http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

The reason I ask is that I have once again gone back to "playing" with Ubuntu, however, this time I plan to stick at it rather than run back to XP when I can't get things working exactly how I want them. Been reading up on Wine and their guide makes reference to using ReactOS so I went and had a look at their site. Thier claims sound pretty good and I was just wondering whether anybody has any real experience of using it.

The thing I'm particulalry interested in is the claim that ReactOS has native compatibility with Windows driver files.

Had a quick search on the Cert forums and ReactOS is mentioned tree times, but only in passing - anybody familiar with it?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I used it once and it was ok but to be honest I think in a world of dual booting and virtualisation I can't see a place for this as it's trying to emulate Windows which is pointless as you may as well use Windows then. If your moving to Ubuntu and want to use Windows apps I would install VMware or Virtualbox and run XP that way.

I take my hat off to ReactOS for what they have achieved but just can't see a market for it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011