Re-using RAID disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nugget, Oct 5, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was just wondering if anyone had re-used any old disks from a RAID set after they had shown an error and should be replaced?

The situation is at the moment that I have in my desktop system a RAID 1 setup in which 1 disk has shown an error and so the RAID is degraded. Seeing as onboard RAID setups on desktop systems are quite unreliable, I'm just considering to kill the RAID, reformat the disks and set it up again hence the question above.

Would this be okay or are the onboard RAID controllers more reliable than I think and the disk really has a problem?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

you could run chkdsk /r or better still *spinrite*

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Spinrite gives a LOT of useful feedback to the condition of the drive.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I was going to suggest a SMART reader.
    IMHO once a disk shows degraded I wouldn't trust it again until I had done some more checks (and even with desktop\on board RAID).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yup !

What he said :D

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the reminder guys. I'll have to dig mine out from somewhere. Shame it hasn't been updated since 2004 though.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685