Problem RDP Win 7 to Win 7/Win XP

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by SarlechS, Mar 21, 2010.

1. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

hi guys, just trying to set up RDP with mine and my brothers computer.

firewall exceptions are in, rdp is setup on both computers, the workgroup is there. i can share files fine. when i try to RDP into his it asks me for a password to log into the Administrators account, he hasn't got a password so it doesn't let me in. if i set his administrator password to something, lets say "pass" and i RDP back into his pc i can log in using his administrator password ("pass") but it will log him out, if he logs back in it will end my remote session. is it not possible to rdp into his pc as the administrator without typing in a password? he doesn't want a password on his computer! also, why does it log him out when i remote in, i want it to be set up so he can see what i'm doing. can i set it up so when i remote in i can take control and stop him from taking control back from me? i know you can do this with 3rd party software, is it possible to do this with remote connection on win7 ?

thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    Certifications: BA(Hons) Business Information Technology
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not being able to use a blank password sounds like a local security policy setting on the PC. You can change if if you have a dig around. Even with the /admin switch on RDP though I don't think you will be able to connect to his XP box and him still retain control. I remember hearing about an unnoficial tweak years ago that allowed two people to use the PC at the same time, but with different user sessions active (not both seeing and controlling the same one).

Remote assistance would let him see what you were doing though (assuming it's still available in Win7, I haven't checked).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs