Ratios

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 2, 2005.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does anyone know where I would be able to find information on the recommended number of DC's to users Ratio?

For instance at the moment I have 1000 users, but only 250 PC's so only 250 people can be logged in at once, but all of those users log on and off at the same time.

At Present I have two DC's which load balance all of the features, but these are ageing and I need to replace. Due to a tight budget I may be forced to cut down to a single DC, so I'm looking for the recommended ratio's to improve my case for keeping two.

:rolleyes:

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

two crap DCs are always better than one DC
    one DC dies, bye bye AD
    two DCs and one dies, hello instant recovery :)

it depends on a number of factor, login script complexity, AD structure, etc, but 250 over 2, DCs is a good number, depending on the platform used, but i really wouldnt cut down to one CD unless you really have to

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, I don't really want to cut down either, was just looking to see if anyone knew of an official ratio so I could use it as leverage.

What I will probably end up doing is getting one server to be a Powerhouse DC, and another cheap and nasty server to function as what will basically be nothing more than a backup, ie run AD, but not function as a Global Catalogue.

At least that way I'll keep some redundancy.

8)