Ratio of IT Department Workers To Overall Users?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 24, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It looks like I've got the best ratio then, 1:55.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

And I must be the worst ... 1 to 180,000! The fact that most of them don't know anything about my existence makes life easier :biggrin

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Way back in 1998, we had a systems/desktop admin (me), a network admin, and a CIO that supported about 150 users.

Fast forward to 2007, where we had a level 1 tech, a helpdesk coordinator, an application systems manager, a network admin (me), and an IT manager for 450 users (50 of whom were doctors).

The remainder of my IT experience has been doing contract support for customers, so the ratio would vary, particularly since we weren't on site all the time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We have the potencial for 2000 users with about 400 PC's, at the moment (likely to triple very soon).

Staff wise, excluding management, me (Sys Admin), 3 techs (1 of them just A/V) and a Database Admin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Oh no .. you really should include manglement otherwise how do they justify their jobs? (I can say that now I am out of it for the next 12 months ;) ! )

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Include Management???

I think not. Don't bloody do anything anyway

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Don't usually do support, but we have two main offices - one has about 80 staff, the other 40-odd. One on-site support bod at each, plus a systems engineer, a senior systems engineer (me) and an IT manager who is very 'hands-on'. Our company takes IT very seriously - I think you'll find thats common in most companies whose very existence is based on technology (we sell subscription-based web services).

For the past week I've been the only one in the office so have had to do all the support - not an experience I care to repeat!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

IT Staff/Employees

8:650

therefore

1:81

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What your IT manager doesn't do IT? Is he/she just a pencil pusher then?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Update: my previous employer has added a systems admin to the staff above. My boss joked that it took two employees to replace me :biggrin, but in truth, new stuff has been continuously added there over the last three months... a new electronic medical record system, a new PACS (imaging) system, a new mirrored SAN (which is ALREADY out of space!), multiple new offices, and at least one new doctor every month.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!