Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by danielno8, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

293 in 50 minutes and counting . . . now where's that passport of mine!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

you'll nail it!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

People should have to pass some kind of test before being handed a smartphone, a guy here just got sent one and e couldn't work out how ot get into the box let alone use the phone....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. JK2447

JK2447 is thinking . . . . .Isn't studying for 294 great compared to the Network and OS exams (290,291,293) :biggrin

Do bits of this stuff day in day out :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Why do we say a pair of trousers when theres only one?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

... because there are two legs?

A pair of glasses - two arms / lenses

A pair of scissors - two blades

A pair of compasses (compii????) - two 'arms' (or whatever they're called).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. danielno8

my mums friend got a new BT router, which wouldn't connect to broadband. So BT sent her a replacement which still wouldn't connect.

So she mentioned this to my mum, who asked if i'd take a look. On my way home i bumped into her, so i went in to take a look. turns out she still had the old modem plugged in upstairs which was already connected, hence the new one wouldn't even sync with the exchange. I was there for about 5 minutes, and i explained all that was wrong and she tried to pay me £20 for this haha. she wouldn't take it back so i have given it to my mum to give her back. I don't think i would sleep tonight knowing i had taken £20 for that lol.

8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

20 sounds like a decent payment for the service you did. I don't get why some feel ashamed to ask for money for a job well done. You know how to do the job because it's your specialization. I occasionally perform similar tasks for friends and family, and I charge 3 digit numbers for an hours worth of work. I do the job right, my friends and family trust me, and it's more than fair to charge this money as I have over ten years of experience in these things.

You work in IT for a reason, you do it because you know how it works. So don't be afraid to charge a reasonable sum when push comes to shove.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. danielno8

^ i agree, but not if its friends/family. Unless it was a good few hours work then i generally won't take anything. If it's some randomer then not a problem.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

True, but it's neither friends nor family... it's the friends of your family. Do it once for free, and ALL yer mom's friends will be wanting free service... mark my words, I speak from experience. :blink

I currently charge $100/hr for my services. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Friends or family, don't care, I charge 'em.

There two exceptions.

I'll fix whatever for my girlfriend.

And

I'll do all my dad asks for free (he had provided a fair bit in compensation over the years, so I owe him).

Sorry, but the rest will pay for any intervention I can't resolve in a 5 minute phone call.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  12. JK2447

I work on the no-cash rule. I do for you then you're in my pocket. I prefer favours i.e. my uncle tiled my bathroom floor and my other uncle works for Virgin Media gave me my Wireless N router :biggrin But cash never swaps hands with my family/friends

**Edit: Parents/granparents/in-laws pro-bono

13. danielno8

Haha i know what you mean also.....but i do have a limit. This was my mum's best friend who i have known for years also.

The other thing i don't like about taking money is its like you have given a lifetime warranty on whatever you fix, as soon as something else happens you get called again! They don't know it is somethign completely different! What i will say though is over the years i've learned plenty from doing it which has definately helped me

14. BosonMichael

Psst... when you do it for free... you have given a FREE lifetime warranty on whatever you fix. ;) And you'll DEFINITELY be called again! :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I even charge MARTIN for fixes.

Not money, no no, but he knows darn well that if I need to take time to do something on his computer, I'll be wanting a treat (such as dinner out, his bill) in return.

Ergo, he's not often stupid enough to get me to fix his computer 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. danielno8

There's not becuase i feel no guilt telling them i'm too busy if i haven't asked for money!

17. BosonMichael

I feel no guilt telling them I'm too busy if I HAVE asked for money. They wait on me to free up... I fix their stuff... and unless what I did before was actually my fault, I hand them the bill. And ya know what? They pay it happily, because they think I'm worth every penny.

The eye doctor I do side work for just moved her practice to another location. She called me up the other day, saying, "Ever since you took over my IT 12 years ago, I haven't had a single problem. After the cabling guys hooked my computers up in the new office, nothing has worked correctly. Please come help."

If you provide good service, the occasional hardware fault or misconfiguration will be acceptable. You simply have to be fair with them.

EDIT: Crap. I'm getting away from the random thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  18. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Virgin media gave me two Wireless routers anyway haha, once when they put the line in, and then when they came to install my broadband./ YAY go me.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  19. danielno8

yep i see what your saying. And everyone who offers me money really does insist on paying it. It's just that i personally feel guilty taking money in exchange for some of my time helping friends and family. It doesn't matter to me what i would be worth, it's me giving up some of my time to help.

20. BosonMichael

Then you missed my post... I agree with not charging MY friends and MY family. But I DO charge my mom's friends. Isn't that what you were discussing? :)