Random scenario time

Discussion in 'Software' started by wizard, Oct 24, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have posted this on another site, but I thought I'd ask in here as well. I have been trying to get my head around MS licensing for some time now and I think I have got a grasp on, until I started reading further into it. So giving my scenario listed below, the setup I have detailed below doesn't actually exist just in my head and experience from a similar system I had exposure to in my previous long term permanent job. I've also included Citrix Presentation server into the mix as well.

Scenario

I have 150 thin client terminals. I want these 150 thin clients to connect to 2 terminal servers running Server 2003, for simplicity sake, 75 thin clients log onto each terminal server.

I want these 150 thin client terminals to access applications via Citrix Presentation server.

What licences and how many of each from Citrix and Microsoft would you need?

There would be no external access via the web and no mobile devices connecting to these servers, all users would be based at the same place.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

150 Server CAL's
    150 TS CAL's
    150 Citrix Licences.
    2 Server Licences

3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks for that Si, I had a feeling you would be using 2 types of MS CAL when connecting to the server :D

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Two types of MS CAL's, three types of MS licences! :biggrin

I don't think that even MS understands MS Licensing! :rolleyes:

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think who ever did devise their licencing system needs shooting :D

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think if you use winterms (or something like that) you might be able to ditch the server CALs and just use the TS ones. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

-10 server CAL's as each server comes with 5. Don't know if this also applies to TS but I would think not.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685