Random Linux+ Question #63

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by tripwire45, Aug 18, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You have created the group certforums and now you want to add a user named Gav. Of your choices below, which one would be correct? Select only one answer.

1. groupmod -A Gav certforums
    2. groupadd -a Gav certforums
    3. groupadd certforums Gav
    4. groupmod -A certforums Gav
    5. addgroup -a Gav certforums

Answer later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm confused again trip.

1. groupmod modifes an existing group by doing something such as renaming the group. It has no user options at all.

2. groupadd creates groups. That is it's whole function.

3. addgroup also just adds groups but will add system or user user groups depending on the option/s used.

4. adduser will add an existing user to an existing group and no switches are needed. It is related to the addgroup utility, but addgroup will not do what adduser does in this respect. Also the syntax for adduser to add an existing user to an existing group is "adduser user group".

Show me where I'm wrong because I don't think you have a workable solution in your choices. At least not in my understanding of these utilities.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, I see what you are saying. One of the options really does work on SUSE linux but not on Fedora (or I suppose Debian...I'm at home and don't have access to the Debian machine). That'll teach me to try this out only for SUSE. Nice catch, Freddy. My bad. :oops:

I guess the question is still valid if I say "you are on a SUSE box" so I won't give the answer away right now. :wink:

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, that's OK. I was just lost because I didn't think anything looked valid to me, and then I went and researched it all and still couldn't find an answer that worked on Debian.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Answer time. For SUSE anyway, the correct answer would be #1. It does work for SUSE but you are right Freddy...it doesn't work in Debian...or FC for that matter.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

So am I in the damn group or not ??? :blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Only on a SUSE machine I'm afraid, m8. :oops:

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Damn, I binned Suse, and am currently running up an Ubuntu VM. Guess that explains the uncertainty then :tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You can be added to a group using the "useradd" command as Freddy mentioned above. There is hope. :tongue