Random Default Printer Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arroryn, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi guys

I have another bizarre issue to put out for you, after a few weeks of beating my head against the keyboard in an attempt to find the right Google keywords...

We have a few users that have reported their default printer intermittently changes. We have seen this happen, though it is so erratic that there's no way of charting the behaviour to any particular application.

In any case, the default printer will always randomly change to the one at the top or at the bottom of the printers list.

The users map network printers via login script, and most will have a local printer as their default; all others without a local device, will have a printer connected to another user's machine as their default, as opposed to a network device.

I have already tried a resolve where you stop the print spooler service, go to \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 - deleting the contents of there, restart the print service and it's meant to fix it. It did... on one PC. But after running this, users don't have the drivers for our network printers any more (!). What could I have done wrong to cause that (I'm guessing it's something I did bad).

Has anyone else seen this, and can suggest a different resolve? Or just a re-hash of the above, pointing out the errors of my ways :)

TAR!!!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

GPO? :hhhmmm

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

We definitely don't use GPO... and I won't be allowed to try to use it to fix this problem.

4. BosonMichael

Just thinkin', someone might have messed with the GPOs without your knowledge... even if you don't officially use them.

So what's similar between the affected users? one department? one subnet? the same default printer? everyone who authenticates to one particular DC?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Arroryn

The erratic smattering of users eliminates GPO - it's across various sites, machine types and departments, pulling from various DCs.

The only similarity between users is that the default will change to either the top or bottom-most printer in their list.

6. BosonMichael

Actually, that strengthens the GPO argument. If that smattering of users ended up in a test OU where someone was dinking around with GPOs, that sort of behavior would happen. Occam's Razor - when the other possibilities (same site, same OS, same department, same DC) have been eliminated, the other possibilities are still potential answers... including GPO. Just sayin - it wouldn't hurt to check.

And that printer is not the same printer, right? Same model? Same manufacturer?

7. BosonMichael

8. BosonMichael

Lots of thoughts coming to mind... sorry for the triple post...

Are some printers share-based and others IPP-based?

9. Arroryn

We definitely don't have any test OUs. Our structure isn't very intricate, and I check OUs on a regular basis - nothing has snuck in under my radar.

Users are all Win XP Pro, at least SP2. It's a mix between PCs and laptops. All laptops are Toshibas, all desktops are Dells.

Will take a look at your linky, tar :)

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

How long has it been happening? MS have recently released a patch because after installing the .net framework 3.5 sp1, it caused some printer drivers to become unsigned.

More here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Get all your printers on a print server :biggrin

Anything in the event logs on the PCs?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are all of the affected users girls too?

Runs away :p

Seriously though, it sounds like it might be a timing/network traffic or OS initialisation issue, as the login script runs - maybe the specified shared printer isn't contactable at that exact point in time.

Just a guess as i haven't seen this myself.

Edit: searched a bit and found this.. a hunch tells me it might be worth a try..

Source http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/Logon_Script_Troubleshooting.htm

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Arroryn,

Let's try to take this on a case by case basis. Do you have any cases where the client has a local print device and this "problem" is occuring to them too?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. Arroryn

Thanks for the replies over the weekend guys - I'll start taking a peek at links.

RH Lee - let me take a mooch at the helpdesk, and see what I can pull for you on a specific case.