Rambo. A review, sort of...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Jan 27, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Went and saw this at the cinema tonight. It's utterly amazing. Not seen an action movie quite like this one before. It's beyond gory and very VERY graphic!

The audience seemed to enjoy it, even my girlfriend loved it. Makes a change from the girly guff she drags me to the cinema to see!

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, get it watched. It's very very VERY good.

Yours,

A Very Satisfied Moviegoer, Grand Cayman.

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. Areayea

Areayea New Member

that sounds cool, I liked the original Rambo, I want to go see the movie too :D

3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

What I think makes it so good is it's delivery and rawness. Stallone really knocks home the issues of the plight of Burma and other ongoing problems going on in the world today. He delivers them in a raw and very graphic sense that knocks you back a bit when you see it, and that's just the opening few minutes!

I think anyone would enjoy this film. It's such great entertainment. Possibly up there as Stallone's best movie he's ever done.

MINOR SPOILER:
    [HIDE]When Rambo gets hold of the giant machine gun near the end, cue one of the most exciting action sequences ever captured on film![/HIDE]

HUGE SPOILER:
    [HIDE]Only read on if you've seen the movie as I don't want to spoil it for you! The part where Rambo rips the soldiers throat clean out with his bare hand nearly made my girlfriend sick in to her popcorn bag! Some of the scenes I just couldn't believe how graphic they were and i'm an avid old school euro-horror junkie![/HIDE]

Anyway, we both thoroughly enjoyed it, hope anyone else going to see it on these forums does too!

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Heh, sounds good. I will go and see it when it comes out. I guess Sly wasn't unlukcy like with Rambo 3 this time. It was all about the plight of the Afgan rebels under the heel of the Soviet Union, and by the time the film came out the Soviet's had pulled out of Afganistan. :)

I'm still waiting to see Rambo 2 though. We had First Blood, Rambo, Rambo 3, so where is Rambo 2? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds cool :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Must...chime...in...with...more...Rambo stuff!

One final thing i'll add, one of the action sequences is so intense it makes the opening sequence in Saving Private Ryan look like an episode of the Magic Roundabout.

Soon as you guys get the chance, run to the theatre to see it, all the way and don't stop until you get there! :biggrin

7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Is it time for the old-timers to have their last kick at the can? :ohmy
    Didn't Die Hard do well, and now its Rambo's turn? All I can say is good for them! 8)

Thanks for the review, I look forward to seeing it.

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Intersting stats, which just go to show that Stallone is getting old so they're giving him an easy time:

He keeps his shirt on (to hide the flabby bits).
    He gets shot at less.
    More people get killed (on both sides) making it statisitcally less likely that none of them are him.
    He still doesn't get to have sex.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I saw this movie on friday with my friends and I am telling you I've never seen a whole theater cheer so much through out the movie in my life. This movie is great, very well done. I am definitely getting it when it comes out on DVD.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

If the trailer was anything to go by, this film looks well graphic. When he opens fire at point-blank range on that guy with the jeep mounted fifty-cal. Geez.......

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

So how would you compare it to the others? If you had the chance to see all of them at the cinema but only had enough money to see one film which would you go for?

Rambo 1? Rambo 2? Rambo 3? or Rambo 4?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

First Blood :-

And Rambo 2 doesn't exist. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Honestly it's hard to say, I like them all. It's something to think about, but I would not mind seeing rambo 4 again.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with you there I thought the music and some of the lines were a bit cheesy in rambo 2:biggrin

I rented the DVD Rambo box set from Amazon and found out some muppet had put disc 2 in the disc 1 case so I have yet to see the first film. It's a pain when that happens! I had the same experience when I rented Battlestar Galatica from them! They sent several disc's of the same box set in different order and I ended up seeing disc 1 of series 2 last and the last disc first :(:cry

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you haven't seen First Blood, then do so! It's the best written of the films and has the best story IMO. Not an action film like the others really, but still great.

16. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Same here. It's going to eat up all my allotted study time!! :D

17. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Don't know if they're still doing it, but last weekend in HMV I bought the complete trilogy fot 12 jib rather than 40, well worth it

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys