Ram Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vallumlj, Oct 6, 2010.

1. vallumlj

vallumlj Bit Poster

Hi I just been playing around with a old computer which currently has 512mb ddr ram in it. I tried fitting some ram I had taken out of a previous computer but with no luck.

I tried installing 2 x 512mb ddr2 533 cl4 and the motherboard is a Ecs p4800prov2

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...x?DetailID=674&CategoryID=1&MenuID=16&LanID=0

The ram was installed right but when i turn the pc on it only saw 512mb not 1gb.

Does this ram work with this motherboard?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'd expect the RAM to work, both sticks have functioned alright plugged in to a different mobo recently?

Try running each stick individually in the board and swapping which stick is in which slot.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

..as BM said in the other thread, your most helpful tool will be google.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't forget the Internet connection. And coffee. Gotta have coffee. :gmorning

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I have a RAM chip that works perfectly when in, but as soon as I put other sticks it's not recognized like it wasn't there at all. Might be sth similar, try them one at a time in all possible configurations to see if they work at all with that MB.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you said the first ram you had was ddr and this ram is ddr2 if so then likely not compatible.

Mixing different makes and or speeds of ram can cause issue with voltages. Usually a high speed and lower speed ram will work together but at the slowest speed.

Just because a motherboard can take a certain speed of ram it does not mean it can take all makes of that speed.

Always visit the motherboards manufacturers website for the qvl list to find what ram and cpus are compatible.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. vallumlj

vallumlj Bit Poster

I have read the manual and I understood the board has 2 x ddr slots and 2 xddr2 slots.

I have tried change the voltage and speed but still no luck.

The computer runs fine but will only detect 512mb.

Any ideas?

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Have you checked that the brand of RAM is actually supported for that motherboard?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Taken from the specs linked to in the first post:

º 2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 2 GB
    º Support DDR2 533 DDR2 SDRAM

Combine with this with the fact that DDR is a 184pin package for desktops and DDR2 is a 240pin package, you'd have more problems than one stick not being recognized!

The board specs above only mention 2xDDR2 slots soI'm slightly concerned about the comment above suggesting you've got 4?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Wouldn't running both ddr and ddr2 at the same time cause problems, since they are likley different voltages?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

If you can boot it up into windows, I would run a scan from the crucial website.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You can't. As the specs say, it has 2xDDR2 533 slots. That's it.

Since the mobo seems to recognize one of the sticks we can assume that they are compatible.
    As already mentioned the best bet is to try 1 stick at a time in each slot. Sounds to me it's either one of the sticks or one of the slots which isn't functioning, that should tell you which one it is.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. vallumlj

vallumlj Bit Poster

I have tried one stick at a time in each slot and the computer will boot sometimes and sometimes it will not. When it does boot with 1 x 512 ddr it shows up as 256mb on the bios boot screen and in windows. I currently have 2 x 512 ddr2 installed and no ddr and it still only shows 512mb.

Does it sound like it could be the motherboard?

Thanks for the help

14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It sounds like the motherboard has issues recognising single-sided ram (while it isn't as common, it ain't uncommon with some motherboards).

It does state:

But that would be 2 x double sided sticks, as per FAQ:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. vallumlj

vallumlj Bit Poster

I understand now Thanks for the help. I am studying to pass my A+ so it could be a good idea to replace the motherboard to get some practice.

Can you recommend a cheap one to try. This pc is only going to be a practic computer.

16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Have a look on ebay and see which one you can afford as well as one that would be suitable for the case. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Added to that you'll know what other features you need: eg onboard VGA, expandability, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security