RAM performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brizzoluk, Oct 5, 2008.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

I recently upgraded the ram on my sysytem from 2GB - 4 GB
    I used crucial to scan my system to find the right ram and then bought the ram from them.
    I cant really say i have noticed a lot of difference in performance, if any!
    I have just looked in my windows vista performance information and my base score has actually gone down!
    and my memory operations per second has gone down from 4.9 - 4.7.
    Is there any reason for this?
    I wasnt really expecting the speed to go off the scale when i upgraded but i thought a little improvement would be good, i certainly didnt expect it to get worse!
    If anyone can shed some light on this for me i will be very grateful.

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You may want to look here on Windows Vista Team Blog.

One thing that you may want to check is the speed (timing & bandwidth) of the new ram, if you have a slower stick in your system - even though you have more ram, it will bring the WEI down.

A couple of things that I would like to point out:

1. The WEI is not a benchmarking tool, if you want to benchmark your system, look at Futuremark (and the likes) &
    2. If you're not running a 64-bit OS, you won't be addressing all 4GB of ram

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. brizzoluk

ok thanks for the reply, im in the process of downloading "Pcmark vantage"
    how can i check the timing and bandwidth of the new ram?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You may find this page useful.

It may be on the actually ram stick or packaging that the ram came in. You can also check the manufacturers website, the resellers website or even by doing a google search with the make/model of the ram.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

CPU-Z comes with an .exe which tests the latency of the ram also.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. greenbrucelee

Just to add some BIOS allow you to display more info than what is currently displayed during post. My ram currently shows 5-5-5-15 1T timing.

7. brizzoluk

Thanks for all the input guys im feeling quite out of my depth with ram timing etc but i'll revisit this thread when i've covered chapter 4 in my mike meyers book when i've got a better grasp on it.:blink
    Thanks again.

8. WindowsRickR

WindowsRickR New Member

Brizzoluk, My name is Rick and I work with the Windows Outreach Team, and I noticed you’re having an issued with your RAM. I would like to offer you some help, but I would like to address a comment that Ken made, he asked about which version of Vista you are running 64bit or 32Bit. This will be important in determining a solution to your problem. (32bit Vista will only be able to utilize 2gigs of RAM) If you have 64 Bit you should be able to take advantage of it, and possibly gain more performance by Tuning your Version of Vista. Here is a link to a document that will help you tune and tweak Vista for better performance. http://www.windowsvistaweblog.com/2008/08/06/series-on-windows-vista-performance-and-tuning/ this may not be the only answer to your problem but by tweaking Vista it should open up a few more system resources for you.
    Good luck
    RickR

9. brizzoluk

Hi Rick thanks for taking the time to address my problem.
    I am running a 32bit version of vista but my system is recognising the amount of ram that i have and i was reccomended this amount of ram by crucial after telling them what system and os i was running.
    Im just gonna have a look at the document you have provided a link to.
    Thanks again.

10. greenbrucelee

You can make Vista 32bit see 4GB of RAM, I have an article on how to do it at home and it works as I have done it on my mates PC.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware, you will never make 32-bit versions of Vista (or XP for that matter) 'see' the full 4Gb of RAM. There is always RAM set aside for the OS which, in Vista, can be an enormous amount. There are switches to 'reserve' more RAM for applications (as opposed to the O/S itself) but it won't make any difference unless the application is 'aware' of this switch and can exploit it (Exchange and SQL Server spring to mind)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. greenbrucelee

I will post about it over the weekend or tomorrow, but yes it needs an application that can see it to use it.

13. brizzoluk

But when i go into system information it is showing 4GB of ram?

14. greenbrucelee

are you running a 64bit version?

15. brizzoluk

no im running a 32bit version thats why im confused after reading zebulebus post :blink

16. greenbrucelee

According what I have read Vista can see all 4GB but can't use it all. I will probably use 3.25 - 3.5GB just like Windows xp 32bit.

17. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

18. brizzoluk

ok so if its using 3.25 - 3.5GB then surely it should be faster than when i was only using 2GB?

19. greenbrucelee

it should be but there are other things to consider, like how many apps are running in the background, your current page file size etc.

If you increase your page file size you may and switch off hard drive indexing you may notice a difference.

20. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Vista will try to tune the automatic page file settings for you, make sure you have a decent hard drive with a contiguous pagefile. You may need to defrag.

You could have bought lower speed RAM which could cause the existing RAM to run slower. Was it the same spec as the old RAM ?

Turn off the windows vista indexer in services, its really horrible on performance.

Does having a bigger fuel tank make your car go faster ? You won't need to pit so often on a long race, therefore increasing your average speed, so depending on the metric it might.

You don't know what the Windows performance metric is made up of, it probably does not give many points for memory over 2GB. If you're running extra programs or services since last time you ran it the score will go down.