Problem RAID Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raffaz, May 24, 2010.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Alreet,

Been a while since i posted a problem but im well stuck on this one, so figured id check here :)

Ive had a RAID5 array built with 4x1TB samsung HD103UJ drives on an adaptec 2420SA controller card. This has ran flawlessly but i have decided to upgrade again as i was starting to run out of room :ohmy

Ive now got 4 shiny new samsung HD203WI 2tb drives, ive initialised these and fitted them in my HDD caddy which is connected to the controller and all the drives fail. The controller states "failed drive - selection timeout: device removed or not responding".

I can put the other 1TB drives back in and they are picked up fine, i can also connect the 2TB drives upto my mobo and they can be seen and formatted etc as normal.

Im at a loss as to what could be wrong, could there be some sort of limitation with the RAID card or could some setting be different on the HDD?

Any suggestions welcome :D

Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Does the raid card support drives larger than 1 TB?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No it doesn't.

Raffaz the card you have doesn't support drives larger than 1TB I had this problem a while back whilst building a setup for a customer I got on Adaptec and they told me the MAX drive size is 1TB

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Raffaz

Ahhhh crap, just spotted it in the specs lol, did you get a card that does support the 2tb drives then GBL, and if so then what is it

5. greenbrucelee

If I remember correctly it was the 5805z I think, it supports some crazy amount of terabytes that no one will use. I will have a look when I get home tonight as I will have a copy of the rma and reorder.

6. Raffaz

Just looked at them, bit out of my price range like, they are nearly £600 :(

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Might be worth checking if there is a firmware update for the original card to see if they have added in support for bigger than 1TB.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. greenbrucelee

Yeah I forgot to mention that the guy I built the system for had ****loads of cash and wanted everything to be as expensive as possible like the fact it had two nvidia 480 GPUs and i7 extreme £880 CPU along with a gigabyte UD7 motherboard. If I remember the cost of whole setup it was something like £3950 before adding on my fee.

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ya. good point.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Wooh! talk about being loaded, just out of curiousity was he only going to be playing games on the system and web browsing:)?.

However, a system as the one stated above would do nicely with VMware Esxi and lost of vm's in a cluster setup.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. greenbrucelee

He was one of those "it's new so I must have it before anyone else does" people. And yes it was just for gaming.

12. Raffaz

Well, just thought id update you lot. I checked the site for firmware updates but i already had the latest one.
    I then got in touch with adaptec support and they gave me a link to a new update that isnt on the website, ive flashed the BIOS and just in the process of building / verifying my 5.4Tb RAID 5 array :D

13. greenbrucelee

Crazy, they never mentioned that when I had this issue. Unless this update is very new since I had this issue 2 months ago.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Great news.. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sweet! Great news :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  16. Raffaz

Yep, its looking good, although its only 11% into building and verifying.

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That means I won right? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. TechTrend

TechTrend New Member

I am also using an Adaptec 2420SA and need to upgrade the drives in the array to 2TB. Could you post the URL to the update (or send it via PM?)

Several older Adaptec boards with the 5.2.0 level firmware were updated with 2TB support in builds 173xx or 175xx. Unfortunately the last 5.2.0 build at the Adaptec site for the 2420SA is 15611. There are not many PCI-X RAID controllers left. Most nowadays are PCI Express which would require a server replacement.

19. Raffaz

I havent got it now, contact tech support and they will help you :)

20. TechTrend

TechTrend New Member

Thanks for your response.

I contacted Adaptec support and they sent me a link to build 15617 of the 5.2.0 firmware for the 2420SA. That worked well and recognized the 2TB drives. A current version (6.50) of the Adaptec Storage Manager was required to setup up logical volumes on the larger drives.