Raid configurator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 8, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I recently bought a pc after not owning one for 10 years and have just started studying for the a+

Why would my pc have raid configurator software on it when my hard drive is only a SCSI?

Or is my hard drive really a raid I have yet to actually look inside the pc properly

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Raid isnt a different kind of connection. Any type of hard drive (IDE, SATA, SCSI) can be set up in a RAID array. Raid is a setup which combines multiple drives into a single drive in one of several combinations. Click Here, for more information.

Windows comes with the ability to create some levels of RAID array. And a lot of Mobo manufacturers now ship with RAID controllers built into them (Usually just 0 & 1 capable), and usually have some sort of windows application to allow you to monitor and configure your RAID array without having to phaf around in the BIOS too much.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Are you sure you have a SCSI hard drive and not an IDE or SATA one? It would be *most* unusual!

RAID requires more than one disk (the RA part stands for Redundant Array).

And finaly - many of today's better motherboards come with a (rather limited) RAID controller. IMHO if you don't intend to use it it is better switched off. But don't do this after installation as you could suddenly find a non-bootable machine!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sorry Harry it is a SATA 2 for some reason I thought it was SCSI

Thanks for clearing it up

Steve

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?