raid across IDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaunyboy, Dec 15, 2004.

1. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Howdy.

I've been planning to set up a simple file server and have set up a machine with RH9 running off a scsi hd, leaving, I thought, 4 ide drives available to make a nice raid-5. I'd rather use an ide raid as I have a redundant array of totally worthless disks littered around the study.

however, the howto I've read says only have one raid member per channel but doesn't say why. I figured if a master went I would have changed the slave to a master, installed a new slave and recovered. I know during this time the machine would be useless (2 drives down) but I can store elsewhere on my net during this moment.

Can I get by on this, I wouldn't be running the OS on the raid (keep it and the swap on the scsi) so it wouldn't be mission critical, just for storage. Or is there another reason I'm missing out on like the disks cant simply be moved from slave to master.....

Thanks in advance guys and gals,

Shaunyboy

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Shaunyboy

You have an interesting question there. I can't quite see what you are attempting to do are you wanting to run your OS on one SCSI disk and then a RAID 5 using IDE for your data?

We run RedHat 8 at work and my understanding was that a mix of SCSI and IDE was not possible, we do tend to use pure SCSI there.

Are you using the Operating system to do the RAID or are you going to build a disk pack. Using RH8 we put 6 disks in our machines 5 in the RAID and one hotswap.

What you describe I do in HP-UNIX 11 using their logical volume manager but there again all of the disks are SCSI. We tend to mirror the root and boot disks and RAID5 the data disks, anything from 6 to 40 HDs. But that is a vendor specific application.

3. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Hi Sandy,

I was kinda hoping to run the os on the scsi (inc swap file, possibly creating additional swaps on the ide's if things went well, as I understand it the kernel distributes the load across all swap partitions painlessly) and the raid5 on 4 IDE's, using 'mdadm' or 'raidtools'.

However, I am flying by the seat of my pants. So far I have got the os on the scsi, mounted one ide as /windows/c (I'm using Suse!) and managed to mkdir a directory within it so I think ide's and scsi's will work.

A more immediate problem is having no psu capable of running this many devices. Arse.

I shall persevere!!!!

SB

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi shaunyboy

Yes you should - sounds like an intresting project over the holidays! You can do most things in Linux, just because the documentation don't say it can't be done means nobody has spent the time setting it up.

I have some exciting uni stuff to do over the holidays (keeps me busy and out of ... :oops: )