R6 vegas 2?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by IThurts, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

maybe am losing the point here but please list the pros(that you think) PC gaming has over any console?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

1:PCs can be upgraded to newer & better hardware/software consoles can't.
    2:Depending on your hardware you can get far better graphics.
    3:PC gaming is far more seamless imo.
    4:Most console games are just ports of good PC games & they don't always port well.
    5:You get bigger harddrives on PCs so you can store more.

These are just my opinions but as a console gamer from the megadrive days (although I had a pc in 96) when I got my PC last year I came to the opinion that I had been missing out.

But as I said earlier on I think driving games and fottball games are better on consoles.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

1)Yes very true but thats an advantage in my books, could you imagine introducing this to console(The main reason people buy console is so they dont have to worrie about upgrading etc). We goto game or wherever you get your games from, buy a game for our console format and go home to have some fun Knowing that it will work.

2)I will concede that but thats kinda related to number 1

3)in what respect?

4)No No No, it works both ways(Plus the console game market is more lucrative than pc game so thats a little backwards Source)

5)maybe could have used that against a ps2 or a fat xbox but not now, then theres the fact that consoles dont install the games to the system they mostly run on the disks

4. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

You are kidding right? :blink

Its easier to just say that Pc's can do what consoles can, but better imho. With mods/grapx capabilites/the non-restrictions of not having to have one type of hardware FOREVER/the (imo) maturer audience/Cheaper games/ ability to use a controller if you so wish (which is basically all a console is about imho), Ability to store like a thousand games in one place without the need of cds if you so wish....

the list really goes on and on and on....

Like i said earlier, you may be surprised but i dont hate consoles,im just giving my p.o.v. Like i said earlier, consoles have ONE advantage, and i would say that is that its more user friendly.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

in response to your points number :
    1) I wouldnt be surprised if most folk were ignorant to that very fact and do not take into account this issue. Some people prob get caught up with the marketing hype and think WOW...not really taking into consideration the hardware upgrading thing. Only to buy the xbox 720 next year..;) ...which essentially is a PC GPU upgrade that already happened 1 year prior.

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to microsoft, there release of the Elite was a bit of a joke considering they should have addressed the issues with the 360 a long time ago but you know M$ and there cashcows

Gaming has changed over the past couple of year and lets face it if gaming is all about graphics i would say PC should win by design and the WII would be a laughing stock(must say the most suckest graphic but combined with beer and freinds then it becomes the best thing since sliced bread)

7. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

i tihnk you got me there ;)

Consoles are also a much more social piece of kit...and i guess you cant beat a few beers and friends compared to lone playing on a pc.
    I think we'll agree that in terms of specification a PC would win all the way...but i think consoles have it nailed in terms of pick up n play/social aspect :biggrin

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Theres also rentals and trade-in in the consoles favor, also its easyer to return console games to the store if theres any problems(unopeaned pc games should be fine but break that packaging and you will have hell to pay)

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can purchase computer games far cheaper than you can console games, and you can resell computers games through various sources.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

I think we could all split hairs all day long, but at the end of it all i believe the facts in terms of specification capabilities obviously are in favor of PC's. Like i said, Consoles do have that pick up and play factor as well as the social upside that accompanies them.

You cant really say about rentals etc etc...because these days if you havent been an avid pc gamer, you could pick up a great game ie; STALKER or any other game at that sort of date range, for about 9.99...somegames are even like 99p.

PC's also cater imho for EVERYONE, whereas something like the 360 has about 4 racing games 5 beat em ups and 4000 FPS.:blink
    PC's have them games that will never get old, like theme series....(hospital/park) etc...there's games out there for 99p that you can have hours of fun with, i picked up one the other month for 99p...it was called tropico...fantastic sort of city simulation game...real addictive. So my point is if the real issue is "as long as you hav fun", then you cant go wrong with PC gaming.

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

We could but at the end of the day more people prefer consoles to PC for there gaming needs.

More Reading although I'm not sure about the Upgrade price in that article, could someone confirm

12. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

however that doesnt mean they (consoles) are better at doing what they need to. There's simply no argument as to whether or not pcs are techincally more advantageous than consoles...its a fact im afraid. This CAN be prooven. Your statement as to consoles are preferred...can NOT (afaik). Please proove me wrong if i am incorrect.

Its like me saying more people prefer jam to marmite.....so what? More isnt always necesarily better, especially when im talking about PC's generally being better gaming machines techincally if you so wish them to be.

I like how this guy put it in your link above in re to Crysis not selling that greatly :

and further to this...your link only prooves that 2 games for the PC did not sell that greatly, so has not much to do with consoles>PC's. Just an ignorant reviewers opinion, in my opinion. Like said, i like how the quote above said it.

If you want to see in just one other forum which systems people own...take a look at this ...i acknowledge only ONE forum but 60%+ of people own a pc for gaming rather than a console...so you cant tell me more people prefer consoles :) its more a case of tit for tat.

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

:blink we seem to be stuck in a loop on this thread my point was never to say PC is better than Console or viceversa my point is that console offer something PC can't and PC offer things that console cant :rolleyes:
    on another note your gaming experience comes at a price, DRM, Subscriptions, activation limits and CDKeys etc etc in the next couple of years with DX10(will they bring it out for XP, DX9L if its really 10 then why not just name it 10 :blink), Vista and Windows 7 you can kiss goodbye to most of your old games runing native on them(BF:2 and BF:2142 run like dogs on my Vista rig)

14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

old data yes, but its still the same game today unless someone could counter my claim that console still dominate the market with some facts and not a 60% majority of a forum

15. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

:blink... ....your right about the looping of this debate. lol.

My point was that these are everyday people with real views...not (as you put it) "old data".
    Like i mentioned, consoles could outsell PC's 400,00000 to 1 for all i care, but you seem to keep forgetting the basis of all of this..that PC's are the BETTER machine..that has been my point throughout all of this.

I have submitted to the fact that consoles have their advantages, and i do not deny this. PC's are the reason you have console games...and i dont think people should forget that.

More to your 2001 old data....heres some food for thought for you:

Essesntially from that reading above and yours...your telling me the consoles outsell the PC's, which is fine, however total playing time is greater by far for PC's??....seems to be something not right there to me, and i think Digital distribution has alot to do with it also the fact that all these people buying consoles are not having as much "fun" as they would like to as opposed to PC gamers.

My point being dont take those 2001 old figures as gospel as explained above because the economic figures do not always tell the full story. :)

16. BosonMichael

I'm not sure what consoles offer that PC's can't, other than the "no installation" hassle.

Please... you think your games aren't copy protected? :rolleyes:

I choose whether to buy a subscription-based game instead of a normal CD/DVD based-game, PC games do NOT have activation limits, and only some of them have keys... which, if you type it in only ONCE, you never have to type it in again. And I don't have a problem running games on Vista. Your arguments are weak.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. BosonMichael

You are right... console games do bring in more money to companies than PC games (some of that caused by the HUGE cost of console games). But ITh is right in that the PC is the superior platform. It *can* be set up for couch-potato operation. It *can* be set up with controllers... or not. It *can* be upgraded, which to most gamers, is a benefit, not a curse. And games developed for PC provide a far richer interactive experience, for the most part.

Got nothing against the console gamer crowd. If you decide that works best for you, I say go for it. But saying that the console is better than the PC (or that console games are better than PC games) is like me saying my boxy CRT TV is better than a new flat-screen Hi-Def TV just because I don't want the hassle of mounting the flat-screen on my wall. :rolleyes:

18. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

And so is yours big fella
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/BioShock-FAQ-on-Securom-and-PC-Activation-64428.shtml

I didn't

Get your mates round for some beers and gaming and you will find out

I know they are but being consoler i dont have to worrie about that

19. BosonMichael

I have yet to install a game that wouldn't install due to activation limits, particularly if you don't register it. But let's assume that it does only work with 5 installs. Doesn't that "revoke" application fix it so you have all your "installation slots" back? I play the game... I revoke the activation... then I resell the game. Easy as can be. :rolleyes:

The comment was directed towards everyone who says that "consoles are better than PCs for gaming".

I didn't remove the activation comment. It's still there. :blink

20. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

That was my bad fella didn't notice your post above :)

also can i ask what games your runing on vista? just to give me an idea as the Battlefeild(2/2142) runs but are slow,jerky, and all round piss poor on vista