R6 vegas 2?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by IThurts, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

damn this is turning into a console vs pc very quickly, most people buy consoles becuase they cant be arsed trying to work out what they need to upgrade on there pc to get a game to run. Me personally i find PC gaming a bit finatical i only play games for fun and to let a bit of steam off

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I say who cares whether you play on console or PC. To each their own. If someone is having fun, isn't that the point? I prefer consoles for the limited amount of time I play games, because I spend all day long on my computer, and I'd rather relax on my couch when I play games, but that's just my personal preference. I also play PC games sometimes.

For the record, I haven't played any of the Rainbow 6 series, so I don't have a dog in the hunt. I just get amused whenever people say that their method of playing games is better than the other. There are more important things to worry about.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The point is this: when console gamers play against PC gamers... they tend to get fragged. Not because they're not as good at gaming... but because of their choice of controller. :p

I got nothing against console gamers. You are correct that it doesn't matter as long as everyone is having fun. Just saying that the PC input method is superior, as are the games, generally speaking. I dislike ports of games from console to PC because the games are typically "dumbed down" by lazy programmers who don't want to take the time to take advantage of the PC's abilities.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Got to jump in here and defend my piers!

Yes, ports are generally not as good as the games specifically developed for the PC. Why is this?

1. The budget for a port is roughly 1/3 of that for the development of a game from scratch.
    2. The porting team is a lot smaller than the team size used to develop a game from scratch.
    3. A game is a piece of software whos architecture is based around the platform for which it was originally developed. Because of the two previous points a game cannot be architectured from scratch, so the existing codebase needs to be made compatible with that of the PC.

This is not an ideal situation, nor is developing each title from scratch for each platform. In the case of Quake Wars, the game was developed for each platform specifically using the same assets. Because this was too much of a task for one studio it was distributed over several with each focussing on one platform.

So in conclusion, when ports come out and appear as 'substandard' it isn't because the programmers are lazy (since lazy programmers produce code that doesn't function correctly, if at all! ;) ) it comes down to buget and team sizes.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. BosonMichael

Then I amend my post and say "cheap development companies" instead of "lazy programmers"... though there ARE some of those out there.

In either case... the situation sucks for PC gamers. Best way to combat that sort of behavior by software development company is to not buy sucky console ports.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Whatever happend to the war filght simulator games such as the Janes series?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Mathematix

Jane's gave up making comercial flight sim games years ago. I remember the F/A18 being the last good one for Win98. :(

8. greenbrucelee

I had loads of them 12 years ago like ATF, F117A and the like. Its a shame no one seems to make them anymore.

9. Mathematix

Only Ubisoft that I recall actually trying to make a cheap port of Splinter Cell: Double Agent for the PC which is practically unplayable for 99.9% of PC gamers. None others come to mind.

We don't 'buy' crappy console ports, we purchase licenses for the dev kits that allow us to develop games for a particular platform. These licenses run into hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on the target projects to be completed.

10. Mathematix

It is a shame. can't seem to get them to run stably on XP either. :(

11. BosonMichael

Ah, that kills me... I was looking forward to playing Double Agent. Very sad. :(

I don't mean you... I mean us. If we don't buy crappy console-ported games, software development companies will think twice before buying a license and creating a crappy console port.

12. greenbrucelee

Although I think the flight sim faze is over it would be nice for some company to try and revive it.

13. Mathematix

Oh yes! the argument that either console or PC gamers are better has not base for proper argument whatsoever. Because of the very nature of the platforms themselves they provide a very different experience, in addition to the team working on each having to work with the pros and cons of each.

It's simply a case of 'each to their own'. :biggrin

14. Mathematix

Honestly, mate. Don't touch it.

Ooops. My bad. :oops:

15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

to try and get this somewhat back on topic...

I have R6 on both ps2 and pc (ps2 version is my sons) and i find i can not play the ps2 port as easily as the pc due to the controller, a Keyboard / Mouse combo is essential for FPS games in my view. However there are some games that work better on consoles with thier style of controllers.

What i do find is that that game play between both R6s is different also between the PC and ps2. I much prefer the PC version, its easier on multiplayer as each has thier own PC to play it on and the graphics are better.

Forget the PC vs Console argument... R6 in its many forms is a great collection of games, only 1 or 2 mare the series but even then not so badly that i would stop playing them!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  16. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

I dont think there is anything wrong with having a debate about PC vs Consoles. As long as it can be done in a mature manner with everyone respecting everyone elses opinion. I dont think people shoulsd be scared of letting the debate continue..

The facts are obviously in favor of the pc so people should generally accept that.

I also agree that the whole "each to their own" statement is relevant also, but i dont think this was the message that i was trying to portray and feel this is also a seperate argument. I have no issue with people playing on an atari if they so please...:biggrin just trying to get a general opinion really.

For the record also, Double agent wasnt that bad!! There was just ALOT of patches and the appropraite gpu driver required. But my copy run fine after i applied them, so dont let that put you off.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I dont mind having a debate either but i feel that its a unfair comparison to put any console up against a pc

18. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

my case and point (in favor of pc) :biggrin

19. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

consoles offer things that pcs can't, console have to stick to things like Fixed FPS etc etc, most consoles take years to get out of the ground with hardware that was fixed at the design stage

A better test would be to build a pc with the same spec as a xbox 360 or a ps3 and then run a Current game on the bad boy or not :p

20. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea you could do that...but do you think that is splitting hairs somewhat? Its all "next gen" technology. I was really refering to the overall scope of gaming as a whole.

But taking into consideration what you put forward, if i had a PC that was the same spec as the 360, to me, the argument still stands that a pc can do what a console can..ie; comfort etcand more.
    Ill bow down to the fact that consoles have 1up over PC's in terms of usabilty/user friendly..that sort of thing though.